Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I use a 1.25" lug height w/ 1.5" studs on my '96 ZRT 600 w/o modifications?

Also, do I have to worry any problems that may occur if a stud rips out of my track? I've heard of studs putting holes in coolers..

·
Registered
60 Posts
The '96 has FastTrack suspension and you should be OK, check with your local dealer to be sure. As for ripping a stud out, yes, putting a hole in the heat exchanger is a possibility. Remember, studding a track is used for more control on a hard packed surface, not to launch it across the road or drag racing on the trails. Use some common sense and you will be fine.

If you are going to a 1.25 track, I would assume that you are riding is a lot of loose snow pack, then why would you need the studs. If you are riding mostly on trails, my experience with 1.25 tracks is that they eat sliders faster. IMO. Dan

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a '96 ZRT. The '97 models were the first ZRT's with the FastTrack rear suspension. The sled I had was used and the original track was studded. I tore enough holes in the track from studs that I eventually put a slide rail through the track. Stopped real quick. I replaced it with a 1" tall track without any problems, also did not stud the new track.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What are your riding conditions?
Do you really need studs?
Seems to me that if you're racing on super hard pack or ice coditions you'd want a shorter lug track with studs
Somethings to think about!

I have a '98 ZRT 800 with a 1.5" track. Will be installing a mountain cat kit and 2" track next weekend. Most all of my riding is in the Powder:D :D :cool:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Keep the track tension fairly tight. Not too tight so as not to stretch it. I made the mistake of not tightening the newly studded track on my ZRT and it gouged the front heat exchanger. didn't hurt it though. I fabbed some protection for it anyway from some square tubing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SDlawndawg said:
Keep the track tension fairly tight. Not too tight so as not to stretch it. I made the mistake of not tightening the newly studded track on my ZRT and it gouged the front heat exchanger. didn't hurt it though. I fabbed some protection for it anyway from some square tubing.
I installed the track this past weekend and noticed how close the front heat exchanger was so I kept the track fairly tight as you suggested.

Im curious as to what you did for a gaurd to protect it.. could you better explain so I could possibly do the same?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
they sell protectors, check out dennis kirk, ebay, arctic cat.

·
Registered
60 Posts
They sell exchanger protectors for the runners only, not for the front exchanger. One word of advise, if you damage it, it is a pain to remove and repair. Be careful with studding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts