Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might be getting one of these are there any known problems with these sleds this one is a 96' 2500 miles, just wondering how reliable these things are and what kinda speed and hp numbers do they got?

·
Registered
431 Posts
118 horsepower, Mine did over 100 mph (speedo). All in all a great sled but heavy by todays standards. My sled also developed a coolant leak at the water pump at about this mileage. i guess this is fairly common.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Unless it is clutched to engage at 6000rpms it will have no low end power. I had a 96. It was a tank. It was very reliable, but I would never buy one again. If you really want it and it looks good I wouldn't pay over $1500.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The 96 ZRT was 112hp, they went to 118 in 97, they dont have the ETT, so unless your getting it way cheap i'd wait for a 97 or above. I dont think you can beat the triple for performance or sound. With just the little work i've done to mine I've been told its over 140hp at 9200....

·
Registered
25 Posts
i have a 1997 zrt 600. i would hold off and get the '97 for the suspension, it hooks up good. but the 96 would be fine for good price if its not beat. I have the best set up there is for it in gearing and clutching. there isnt much for sleds out there that can touch me in 1500 ft. Let me know if you want teh clutch set up

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i already got the sled guys shocks are gettin rebuilt, so far im just waiting for snow here in sw wisconsin to take it for the first ride. the clutch on this one engages at 4000rpm

·
Registered
18 Posts
The 96 ZRT was 112hp, they went to 118 in 97, they dont have the ETT, so unless your getting it way cheap i'd wait for a 97 or above. I dont think you can beat the triple for performance or sound. With just the little work i've done to mine I've been told its over 140hp at 9200....
What? I'd do some more research on that everything I've found says the opposite the 96 zrts are faster than the 97 and up
96 zrt 600 produced 120.2 hp and the 97 and up were around 118

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
if you wanna make it fly find a set of black magic triple pipes for that old beast!!!! and yeah i thought that the 96's were suppose to be the fast year of that sled?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts