Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 ZRT 600 and it just started running on only 2 cyl. First step was putting new plugs in, ran it for a bit, pulled the plugs and the one on the clutch side was pretty much dry, and exhaust is cold. Swapped fuel line with the centre carb to check to see if it was the fuel pump...SAME. Took carb off and reeds, everything seemed to look OK. Checked the compression to see if there was a gasket gone, all reading about 100 psi. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NEED HELP. I have tried everything, changing plugs, clipping plug wires, switching wires around, switching carbs, switching fuel lines, replacing all jets in carb, new reeds....EVERYTHING I can think of. The only thing now that I can think of is the base gasket. If this is gone I should still be getting compression right? The only problem is I can't get the jug off of the base. Does anyone know an easy way or trick to getting it off?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Let me guess.... the piston skirt broke off. Just a guess.
Yup, you guessed it. On the clutch side. And the center piston is a little melted on the top/exhaust side. Had a hard time getting the jug off, used a tip I found by taking the head off, putting in a small block of wood, bolting the head back on, and turning the clutch. Took a little persuasion but it came off. Haven't pulled the other jugs off yet, just the heads, hopefully they come off easier.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Those zrt 6's are known for it after a good many miles. Usually 4500 miles and up depending on how hard it was riden.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine is under 2000 miles. And the original owner had the entire motor replaced at 2000miles through warrenty. Rebuilding it tomorrow, and probably putting it up for sale.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Thats a bummer. Thats not very many miles. By the way i love my zrt 6. I still love making those 800cc guys scratch their heads!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No it isn't but the sled hasn't been very well taken care of by the original owner. I am the third owner, the guy I bought it from only had it for one season, I got it pretty cheap, but I had to put a seat cover on it because it was left out side, and the hood was faded, so I taped off all the decals, sanded, put 2 coats black, 3 coats clear, looks stock, couldn't believe it. Also I have changed the drive shaft bearings twice, new shaft the second time around. It is quick though. I beat 2000 ZR 700 with some mods right from the start, to the end of the lake. That has BM clutches, can, shaved heads, ported, and 1 1/4" ripsaw track, I still have the original 3/4, maybe go with the 1 1/4" if I keep it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts