Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ran my 2003 ZR900 around today and I had a couple of questions. First my sled when it idles is very shaking, now ive herd that being big twin motors they do shake, so should i not be worried? Second i bought the sled in Sept. and the guy had it sitting for about a year, so when i rode it for today and got it up to temp, it smoked a good amount, is this just it burning through all the old gas?

·
Certified Mechanic
56 Posts
Probably old gas, and if its carburated you need to give them a good cleaning. The big twins are a little shakey, but they shouldnt be uncomfortable especially during normal operations. I wouldnt worry about anything but cleaning the carbs, burning out that old fuel, and checking to make sure your engine bolts are tightened down. If its an EFI you should drain the old fuel, add fresh fuel with some fuel injector cleaner and a little bit of alcohol "heet". You should also grease all your fittings like in the rear suspention and the spindals as well. Hope this helps

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I cleaned the carbs and did all the mantience stuff. Everything is good...it only shakes at idle, there is no performance problems once i get going. Maybe its just me being a little too cautious seeing how this is my first sled...and my baby :D

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
Yep, the big twins do vibrate considerably at idle.
You can fix this by having the clutch precision balanced or replacing it with a Comet Pro-4 (if you can find one). It fixed my 700.
This also makes the belt last longer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts