Snowmobile Forum banner

ZR VS ZRT / Carb VS EFI

6K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  DnD800 
#1 ·
I'm new to the new sleds. I'm up grading from a '73 JD 500 to a 99/00 arctic cat 600. Whats the difference between the ZR and ZRT.

I hope to do some engine work to this sled, which would be better, EFI or carb?

Reason I want to go 600 is for insurance purposes, but what advantage does a 700 or 800 have over a 600, besides obvisous displacement.

Thanks a lot guys.

#5 ·
Mollard said:
OK, so it's a triple.

So, how does a ZR 600 compare to say MXZ 600, and a Polaris 600. Where can I find the specs on there machines?
I would take a ZR anyday over those sleds. If you want to mod go carb. I have a 00 EFI 600 and with just clutch work it will run/beat the newer power valved 600's. The non-trailing arm suspensions rule in the trails. If you ask me the biggest down fall of the ZR's is the rear skid. Which it isn't that bad but if I had to pick a need to improve it would be that and gas mileage.

#11 ·
I wouldnt go with the triple, unless you plan on rebuilding the center cylinder. Also, I would say EFI would be better if you doin more trail riding then open drags. More control of the RPM's.

#12 ·
YamahaVector said:
98 99 and 00 all had the same motors.
Actually 98, 99, and 00 all had engine changes. With 00 being the best out of those years. The 98's are horrible and the 99's are slightly better. If your going to get a ywin 600 Cat espically a carb then get a 00. They have a beefed up bottom end over the 98/99's along with 3-D ignition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.