Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! I put 2 new plugs in my machine and if i do not go fast and i am goin slow i allways fowl them this happen twice. I know that my machine is meant to go fast. I was thinking if i rejet her of use a hotter plug i can help the problem. Wa do u think? How big of a job is it to rejet a machine and how do u do it? How much would it cost? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
101 Posts
What plugs did you put in and what was the temp? If it just started doing this after you put new plugs in, then my guess is you got the wrong ones. If it was warm out then your sled will run rich and could also foul a plug, if this is the casse then you will need to rejet.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Jets are not expensive (couple bucks each). If you do not know how to jet - would suggest you get someone who does to do it for you. I think stock jet size in your sled is 360 mains. Drop 1 size to 350 and see.

Jetting is a very touchy subject that depends mostly on your elevation and temperature. Jet too low, and you'll nedd an engine rebuild. Your pistons/rings are $150 ea CDN, cylinders ~$750 ea, factor in gaskets, labour, you're talking big $$$.

Make sure you have the right plugs. The 500's in '98 called for BR9ES or BR9EYA. I ran both in my '98 without ever fouling one.

Do a jetting check and get back to us. To check your jets find a nice, level place around a couple hundred metres long. Run the sled at 3/4 throttle or so for 3/4 that distance. Hit the kill switch while you are still moving, keeping the throttle in the same position as when you were riding. When you stop, pull your plugs and observe what color they are. Black is rich, brown is ideal.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i use a br9eya in her but i am not goin to spen any money on it because i am gettin a mxz x 440 or a mxz or maby even a z440 somthing that is good on gas. wa do u guys think of those sleds?

·
Banned
114 Posts
The main jet size is not causing it to foul plugs. You say it runs good when you ride fast. The problem is the needle or the pilot jet. Don't ask what to adjust it to, I'm not sure where to set it. I do know that is what needs to be adjusted though. You could also run BR9ES plugs and that may be enough to keep you from fouling out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts