Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 2005 ZR 900 last night. Last owner bought it used and didn't seem to know much about it. It has an aftermarket can (rumble pack) and obviously had some clutch work done.

I am trying to figure out what exactly was done to the clutch. It appears to have a Black Diamond helix and rollers at least. It has a yellow spring in the secondary and purple in the primary. Pretty sure the secondary is 10".

Any ideas what I may have ended up with? Looked around and can't tell if BD offered more than one helix. If they offered some sort of kit for the zr9, it doesn't appear they have any info on their website on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
Have you road it yet? What is the take off RPM? Need to know if it takes off at high or low rpm. Does it pull well? Feel powerful or under powered? I would assume that when someone does clutch work it is to benefit the rider. Are you looking for just info on it or that you want to change it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haven't had time to take it for a spin, other than cruising around the owner yard before purchase.

I just want to know what I ended up with. Not looking to change it unless it doesn't perform the way I need it to.

Hopefully I'll have time tonight to take it for a spin. Have to get the kids kitty cat put back together fist.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's definitely DD. First sled with DD so not really familiar with it.

Took it for a quick spin down the street. It engages around 3500 RPM. Couldn't really get on it but this thing absolutely rips. First time on a sled with studs. Might have to do a bit of reading to see if I can adjust the suspension in an effort to keep the skis down a bit.

I'll have to wait until Thursday to get it out on the lake and what it'll do with a bit more runway.

·
Registered
27,165 Posts
It should have the rear coupled already. Either call Black Diamond directly to see or call Greg Goodwin and he might be able to help. It sounds pretty stock with just the dif helix. Mine has an Orange primary.

·
Live 2 Ride
1,004 Posts
looks like a torsional conversion kit, brings the clutch ratio up

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. I'll have to take a peek at that.

Got to run it a bit this weekend but not like I wanted to.

First day was just running around the lake. It was mid 30s, so snow was pretty heavy and sticky. It rips pretty good out of the hole but only got it to 95 on the speedo. This was through 6-8" of sticky snow.

Next two days we got another foot of snow so really couldn't get any runs on the lake. Got to ride on some snow covered gravel and a few sections of trail, but I was following a 440 polaris.

Engagement is more like 3k, not 3.5k. It hooks really good, so might want to raise that a bit and see what happens. I'll have to get it on the lake near home this week and play around a little bit more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.