Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a 01 ZR 8, black magic pipe and clutch kit, dial-a-jet, and carbon tech reeds, With Egt gauges.

I was out riding yesterday, and got about miles from home I here one cylinder drop out and the it dies. I checked the plugs and they look right on, so i figured i seized it somehow, but pulled it a couple times and it fires back up. I got about anther mile and it dies again. Seized solid. It pulls over after a couple minutes but we hauled it home.

When I pull it apart clutch side piston is screwed, and the other one has very minor scratching. and there still a lot of oil all over the place. When I showed ther plugs and piston to a guys thats been helping me with this he figured it was a heat seizure.

So how do i figure out if was overheated or a oiling problem, cause i obviously don't want to fix it to do it again.

·
Registered
88 Posts
What was the temp, how many miles did you get?If you didn't get far, how long did you warm it up?

I made the mistake of not warming up my Pantera enough on a -20C Day , got 3 miles and cold seized it.

If that's not the case with yours, was the coolant level low ?If not there is probably a good chance of a jetting prob with all your mods.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it was about -5 to -8C out and had gone about 8 miles or so from home. I was only riding 30-40 MPH and the plugs look right on is why I'm leaning away from jetting.

·
Registered
170 Posts
800 Russ said:
it was about -5 to -8C out and had gone about 8 miles or so from home. I was only riding 30-40 MPH and the plugs look right on is why I'm leaning away from jetting.
What were your EGT's reading at the time? How long did you warm up the sled before riding?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
EGTs were reading 750-800, let it warm up for a couple min but it sits in a heated shop all the time.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Your EGT's weren't too hight then. I run mine around 1200 F and havn't melted them. I'd try to check and make sure it's oiling properly. Also, what part of the piston was damaged?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The piston tops were good, the badly seized one showed a very slight amount of detonation on the exaust side but other than that the entire skirt of the piston was scored terribly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts