Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Team Arctic
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just recently bought a 99Zr 700. It seems to be a good sled except for one problem. There seems to be an awful grinding noise coming from somewhere??? It usually does it when it hooks up a bit or if you hit the brakes. I had the chaincase open but i didn't see anything wrong, its not slipping on the cogs, i've verified that. how tight chould the chain be? Any ideas on what it could be. It seemed to run good for a couple miles, then it just started to make this noise worse and worse. Any input would be appreciated. The chain is 36 links long and 13 plates wide.....

·
Team Arctic
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Problem solved

I has on the boards all night looking for help and someone else also suggested the bearing, sure enough i went down and it was as rough as a gravel road. It was on the chaincase side of the jackshaft and a real bitch to get off. Had to take the torch to it but i have it fixed now, just waiting for the loc tite to dry and away i go. Thanks fellas.
If ne one is interested you can check out my new site
My new site- Some pics, links, msg board

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey buddy,
I JUST got back from my first ride on my 2000 ZR 700(just bought it lastnight), and had to cut it short because of the same issue you had. Grinding and nasty vibrations under load. All my buddys:dunno: said its the Jack Shaft Bearings so i searched and found this post. What am i getting myself into with this fix? My buddy will do it for me, but i was just curious what you had to say about it. Any help appreciated!! Thanx
Hozzy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Drive Chain/gear Replacement

Does anyone have any advise on how to replace the drive chain and gears on a ZR 700. i Bought this sled and heard the thumping of the chain skipping gear lobes and figured it was an easy fix.
i purchased new gears and chain that match the old ones and i have been told by some that the gears/chain should slip right on while gears are in the chain. there seems to be a missing 8th to quarter inch of play needed to be able to get this unit (gears/chain) on. Is there a special way to do this, or does it simply need some persausion or chain streched a bit?????

1 - 5 of 5 Posts