Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the sled to the hills this weekend, and it ran like crap! After warming up, it barely would stay running until it got cleaned out, and on the trails it would pop and in general just complain. I noticed i burnt through A LOT of oil, at least probably 2 quarts in half a tank (or less) of gas. (as well as tons of blue smoke) Once I hit the upper rpms it seems to run relatively fine.

So any guesses? A little research has shown that maybe a seal failure on the oil pump which causes a ton of oil to be dumped into the engine. The strange part is it only seemed to do it at altitude, I rode the night before at 2000 ft and it seemed to run fine. It might just be that it is better able to deal with the increased oil if there is more air (and more fuel) to burn through it.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you checked that the pump lever is returning to full stop when released?
It should not even begin to pull until after the throttle starts to open.
I know the lever is moving, I guess it isn't impossible that the lever isn't actually solidly attached to anything. I don't remember how that actually attaches, maybe just a screw loose!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cable attached to the adjuster, and the mark lines up at WOT.

ran it tonight back at low altitudes (and COLD temps, -10 when I was out) It ran perfectly. No stumbling, no excessive smoke... So now i'm wondering if maybe the barometric pressure sensor in the ECU might be shot. I should have probably checked for codes while still at altitude...

·
Registered
26,191 Posts
Do an oil ussage test. fill both gas and oil. ride it out! You want 12.5 gal of gas to 1 qt oil! Adjust the cable to get close!

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
cable attached to the adjuster, and the mark lines up at WOT.

ran it tonight back at low altitudes (and COLD temps, -10 when I was out) It ran perfectly. No stumbling, no excessive smoke... So now i'm wondering if maybe the barometric pressure sensor in the ECU might be shot. I should have probably checked for codes while still at altitude...
Take a look in the air box, the air temp sensor may just need cleaning up so it can read correctly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts