Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just cleaned the carbs on the sled, i put it all back together and it wont start, seems like there is no fuel going to the carbs now, is there a "special" procedure to "prime" the carbs up? ive only worked on gravity fed carbs before so this is a little different then what im used to. it is a 2002 ZR500 cross country

thanks.

·
Mad Snowshoveler
537 Posts
You can try blowing in the gas tank to push fuel into the lines. That's what I did to get mine started after I cleaned the carbs. Compressed air works well, you don't to tight of a seal and it shouldn't take very long.

·
710 Posts
It can take a few pulls to fill the carbs back up. An easy way to speed it up is to dump a little gas into the cylinders (like a soda bottle cap full or two) and pull it over. This should start the sled and pull gas into the carbs much quicker. If that doesn't work then you have other issues.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i tried just pulling it over but it never even kicked, going to try and do the air in the gas tank thing tonight. it was running before i tore it apart and i dont think i pinched off any lines so it should start using this method, thanks.

·
710 Posts
You don't need premix to fire it up. But if it fires up doing this then you probably have a fuel delivery issues to look into. You shouldn't need to do this more than once or twice at the most to find out if you have a issue or not.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
turns out it was mechanic error!! meaning me. when i took the pump off to access the carbs i must of popped the vacum hose off of the pump, stuck it back on and it started right up after a few pulls, now lets just hope that it will run better than it did,

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well good news is that it runs much better!! it doesnt flood out when im driving it but it still has a nasty bog in the low rpms, fuel screw is 1.5 turns out should i start messing with that or should i look else where now?? not only does it have a bog , it has a stutter at around 5500 rpm until u get to around 7000 then it revs beutifully

·
710 Posts
IMO this new ethanol gas is a joke and causing a lot of issues (at least in my area). I do have the stock carb settings somewhere if your really stuck but an easy way to tell if your lean or rich is try running the choke in your trouble areas. If it gets better then your lean.....if it's worse then your rich. I'm pretty sure you have flat slides on your sled which means you have air screws, fuel screws, needle settings, pilot jets, and main jets.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IMO this new ethanol gas is a joke and causing a lot of issues (at least in my area). I do have the stock carb settings somewhere if your really stuck but an easy way to tell if your lean or rich is try running the choke in your trouble areas. If it gets better then your lean.....if it's worse then your rich. I'm pretty sure you have flat slides on your sled which means you have air screws, fuel screws, needle settings, pilot jets, and main jets.
yes, i have the flat slide carbs on it. i think if anything its rich cause when the choke was sticking a bit it ran HORRIBLE!!! but i can try again i suppose, just jogging my memory which way is leaner on the fuel screw is it in or out?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.