Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 98 zr 500 and the primary clutch slips when it first engages. i have a comet clutch that i put on last year after having gernaded clutch which was a comet also. i first had a green and yellow spring with 48G weights and it slips pretty bad when i go to take off but thats the only time. i switched the spring with a yellow one that was on the clutch that is broke, and it still slipped. so i then put the weights from the broken clutch in, they are 54G and it dosnt slip as bad put now it just dosnt pull very had when i take off, it fells like it dosnt rev up as fast once the clutch is engaged. just to clerify i am running a yellow spring and 54G weights. i have a brand new gates extream belt and it def is sliping on the primary cause if i lift the hood up and hit the trottle i can see the primary slipping and it makes a grinding type noise.
dose anyone have any idea on what would cause this to slip?

also the clutches are aligned and the belt sits up it the secondary like 1/8 inch or so.

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
Your current setup would be appx 3400-3600 rpm engagement and would peak at about 7600 (should be 8200) with out making any changes to the secondary.

As far as the slippage, there will be some, but you can clean the clutch faces with 200 grit sandpaper or a scotch pad. Then also use that on the belt face to break the glaze.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok thanks i will sand em down, and change my clutching back to what it was. hopefully that will take care of it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts