Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a zl500 that gurgles at about 6000rpms. I took off the carbs and they were clean and nothing was plugged. I have no idea whats wrong with it. Might be electrical? Please respond if you know anything. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
17,191 Posts
First off.. Welcome to the forum!

Midrange fuel is metered by the needle jet/jet needle. There are 5 slots and an E clip on the needle to adjust fuel metering in the midrange. If you are having issues with performance there, you can try moving the e-clip on the needle. Before you move the clip, you should determine whether you are too rich or too lean. Find a straight stretch, throttle to 6000 rpm, go about a half mile and without letting off the gas, kill the engine and coast to a stop. Check the plug color. You are looking for a cardboard brown color. If the plug insulators are black, that would indicate the needle could be moved up on the needle one slot, which will drop the needle down into the needle jet, making the mixture leaner. If the plugs are white or grey, you are too lean and you need to move the e-clip down a notch. Moving the clip down will raise the needle in the jet and make the mixture richer.

Most of the time, midrange gurgles or burbles are a function of too much fuel. But check the plugs to make sure! Only move the clip one notch at a time, then retest. If you go too much, especially lean, you take a chance of burning holes in the top of your pistons!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts