Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 ZL 500. I was wondering if someone could tell me the main differences between my 500 and a 2002 440 sno pro. I know they have more of a race type shocks. How would the engine compare? Can I ride the sno pro on trails with no problems?

One more question, is $1900 a deal for a 2002 sno pro 440? It has a fresh top end but needs some jetting work. The mileage on the sled is incorrect..

Thanks guys! I'm new to sleds....

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
The 440 liquid cooled sno pro engine produced 99 horsepower. More than the 500, but in order to do so, they had to sacrifice engine longevity. Not saying the 440 is a bad engine, but the top ends don't last as long as the 500 or 600's. My zr 600 efi (1998) produces 105 horsepower. The 440 will be a rocket ship up to 50 mph, but whimp out after that. Thats where they're geared to run at. They get a great holeshot for racing!!

·
Registered
521 Posts
If you are primarily a trail rider I personally dont see an advantage to the 440. The ZL 500 is 96hp, just 3 shy of the 440 sno pro and as mentioned, it will likely require less frequent repairs. The ZL500 will ride nicer on the trail but it wont take jumps and ditch banging like the sno pro. Also, if you want more power theres lots you can do to that 500 to turn it into a rocket.
Thats my 2 cents worth.

·
Live 2 Ride
1,004 Posts
there's lots to be don't to a sno pro to get it on the trail, some run 110 oct premix oil, small gas tank geared low

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
I had a 99zl500, now i got a fan SnoPro. Off the line it would destroy a zl... You can gear em to run 80+ mph. Overal, the snopro would be the better trail sled... If it just needs jet work, y doesnt the dealer fix it? Id be real cautious on that deal... With ur zl u already no what u got and that it runs good, why sell it and get a sled ur not sure about?

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
The fans come converted, as do the 98-02 zr440s.. The jetting can be a little finicky tho

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
don't the sno pros have small tanks also not making them good trail sleds? I'd say stick with what you have.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
mines got a 10 gal tank. and gets about 10-11 miles to the gallon. So it gets like 100+ miles to a tank.. oil tank is smaller, so I carry an extra quart with me

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
well he never said if his is a f/c or l/c

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
and didn't yours just blow up? so like stated above the 440 top ends don't last that long. don't get me wrong i'm not picking on ya.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Bad crank seal will do that to ya......

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, thanks for the input guys. I went a head and bought the 02 sno pro for a good deal. It has the big tank and is liquid cooled. It is running really rich so I'll have to figure out what that is all about.
The odo says 900miles. It's a 2002 so is that even possible? It just had the top end rebuilt because it was bad, but like AC Rider said it could have just been a bad crank seal.......

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh, just thought I would mention that I bought it because I do 50% trail and 50% ditch riding. And I'm a dirtbiker so I perfer to stand up and ride.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Good pickup.. Miles are prly off, but I wouldnt worry. It probably ran lean and blew up, thats why the top end is fresh, and I bet they didnt want it to happen again so they jetted it really rich... I would play around with the jetting till u get them a nice brown color, just do them smaller one size at a time

1 - 15 of 15 Posts