Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 2004 z370 that started to not idle down, the engine races when not touching the throttle. I checked the throttle cable it it is not holding the throttle side open at all.

Im not familiar with these carbs, there appears to only be one adjustment screw and Im thinking its a mixture setting. I turned it open 1/2 turn and it appeared to allow it to settle down some but I dont know if that was a good thing to do.

Any suggestions??

THanks

Phil

·
Registered
521 Posts
If the carb slide isnt hanging up then it sounds like the motor is bringing in air from another source. Is the carb to cylinder boot in good shape or are there cracks in it?
It could also be sucking air past the crank seals.
BTW there is an idle adjust screw on the clutch side of the carb but if the high idle condition occured on it's own without any human intervention, adjusting it would likely only compensate for the real problem.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thanks for the advice, Ill pull the slide out and see if its sticking, thats one thing I have not done.

I do not see a screw on the clutch side, there are two screws on the brake side. One small one and a larger one that has knerling on the outside so you can turn it by hand. Do you know what each of these are for?

While the engine was running I sprayed carb cleaner all over it and the intake and it did not change speed so I think the carb boot and intake seals are good. I dont know about the crank seal, where would I spray for that??

Thanks

Phil

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
spray the crank seal behind the primary clutch. and the screw on the carb that you can turn by hand is the idle screw and the other is your air screw.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Indyrider thanks, so on the idle screw what direction of turning it would lower the idle, in or out?

Phil

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
out. and i'm not sure on that sled what the air screw needs to be. but on most sleds it is 1 turn out from seat or turn it all the way in then out 1 turn but like i said i'm not sure on that sled. i'd say start at 3/4 turn out and adjust from there.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not trying to sound stupid but how do you do a leak down test??

Also thanks for the explaination of what each screw does

Phil

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
a leak down test can be a pain. you need to pull your carbs and y pipe off and find or make a plate to cover the holes and pump air in the motor to see if it stay in or not. i don't recommend a avg joe to do this.

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
thats a single carb right? if so it should be easy to adjust the idle.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes its a single carb, I seam to recall you can check for an air leak by spraying starting fluid on the carb, seal, intake gaskets and the crank case and if the engine races it indicates a leak right? If I dont find a leak that way then Ill just adjust the idle down.

Thanks for your help

Phil

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
yes that is somewhat right. you could have a leak from other places also but if you spray and it is fine i would say it is just your carb.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts