Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrite, well ive decided to get the snopro fixed.. My uncle and his buddies are doing new pistons, honing cylinders, syncing and rejetting the carbs, gasket kit, there gunna make it run like new. This is all gunna cost about $500, so now im gunna have to keep the sled awhile, so I figured why not dump more money into it to make it as fast as possible...

I would like to change my gearing but dont kno where to start. I still want it to pull really hard in the low range, but I also want it to top at about 85... Ive been told to do 1 bigger on top, 1 smaller on bottom. Does this make sense? Will this accomplish what I want? Im also gonna add UFO's, and gut the airbox.

Im also gunna clutch it. I want a high engagement like it has now.... Speedwerx makes a kit for this sled for 200 bucks. But the thing is, I already have a BB hearthrob clutch kit that I bought last year, would this work on my sled and make an improvement over stock? Any questions that can be answered are appreciated!

Thanks

·
Live 2 Ride
1,004 Posts
if it's already clutched don't bother putting another kit in it

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya, 03 z440 snopro. Currently the clutching is stock, I was just saying that I have a BB hearthrob kit laying around that I could throw on it, if it would make a difference..

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another thing... Why do they make cans for mxz 550f's, but not for my sled? Id really like to make her sound a little better, but I cant find a can anywhere... ive heard aaen makes one, but its 450 bucks.

·
Live 2 Ride
1,004 Posts
if the kit you have is for that sled just trow it in the gains if any you will get from speedwerx won't be worth the price. they likely made cans for them just probably not anymore keep a eye on ebay

·
Live 2 Ride
1,004 Posts
you could bring up the gearing a bit for more top speed but will lose bottom end, however the clutch kit will compensate on the bottom.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea, I heard 1 tooth bigger on top will get my top end to like 85, and itll still pull pretty hard in the bottom end... Sense im puttin all this money into it im deffinantly gunna keep it for awhile, so I mite as well sink more money into it.. Im gunna put a chrome windshield, and a yellow belly pan cover.

With the fresh motor, rejetting, gearing, clutching, and UFOs it should run like a whole new sled and be pretty quick.. I mean, ive been lookin at skidoo mxz550F's and they seem decently quick, and they only have 55hp! Mines pushin 67.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well im not doing UFOs... ive done more research and they just seem like more work then there worth... Instead im thinkin were gonna do tempa-flows... Is there any airbox mods I could do? Would gutting it make a noticeable difference? Also heard my pistons came in today, so my sled should be done by monday!

·
Mad Snowshoveler
537 Posts
No offense but it sounds like you really want some power out of this sled but this isn't exactly a great place to start if you want power. I imagine your old zl500 had more HP stock? Its like trying to make my sister's Honda civic have a bit more power...Its just not worth it. Personally I would leave it stock and sell it in the fall to get something that you really want.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My zl was a dog, the snopro will beat it in all aspects. Off the line it will destroy it, top ends would be very similiar. the zl topped at 85, with the gearing im doin on the snopro, it will hit 85. Also, the zl had 5k miles on it, and a bent tunnel. I'll take the snopro over it anyday. It has a sweet shock package, all fox gas remote shocks. Id say almost half our riding is ditchbanging, the other half is tight trails. ... I dont see anything wrong with trying to get the most performance out of your sled.

·
Alex
3,385 Posts
No offense but it sounds like you really want some power out of this sled but this isn't exactly a great place to start if you want power. I imagine your old zl500 had more HP stock? Its like trying to make my sister's Honda civic have a bit more power...Its just not worth it. Personally I would leave it stock and sell it in the fall to get something that you really want.
I don't know about your town, but here we race those little 4 bangers down at the track. Performance parts are so cheap for 'm. Headers, intake, everything is extremely cheap, and totally worth it. (I pit for two of my friends who race in it).

I would try and soup up my 380 if I had the cash or effort.... but for now she's just goin for sale

·
Live 2 Ride
1,004 Posts
(lol civics) great power from pod filters and aribox mods, the problem it's youl be jetting more then riding, my banshee has open pods although nothing beats me I'm jetting in the morning then at noon then again after dinner if I want to ride all day

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea, that doesnt sound very convienant for trail riding. For now, itll just be the clutching and gearing, and i'll see how i like that. Thx for the help, spun.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thought id keep everyone updated.. The sled is finished. Rundown on what was done:
-2 new pistons
-cylinders honed
-Gaskets
-Crank Seals
-Rejetted with 320's.

My uncle said it runs about perfect... Im gunna ride it a bit more before I do the gearing and clutching. Im prly goin up north friday till monday, so ill be able to break her in

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
:thumbsup: congrats have a good time and take it easy

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks.. I'll let ya all kno how it goes!

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
just remember tag is not a game to play with trees:cheeky4:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts