Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 Yamaha Vmax 600 xt with only 4000 miles. It runs flawlessly, I’m just looking for something newer and the only newer sled I could find in my price range is a 2007 Ski-Doo rotax 550 with 12,000 miles on it. Is it worth it?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would keep looking. The 550 is a fan cooled sled. Even though the suspension and frame are a big step up from the Yamaha, you will not be happy with the power loss. If the power loss is not big deal, 12000 miles is a lot of miles on a fan motor. You should be able to find something newer in your price range with a lot less miles. If you want to stay with Ski Doo, look for a 600 carb model. Everyone wants the E Tec so the carb models go for cheap. That motor is rock solid. I have a 600 carb and it has all the power that I will ever need.

At this point in the season, you may just want to ride the Yamaha for the rest of the season. There will be good used sleds at good prices at the end of the season. Then you will be ready for next season.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I would also stay away from certain years of the Ski-Doo 800 as well as they had issues with pistons & it blowing up around 2010 and after that for a few years. Same with Polaris stay away from that 800 until the latest ones as they to also had major issues with their pistons and what not. So much so that many aftermarket companies have been making "Fix it kits" for a few years on both sleds. Go to a 700 if you want a little more HP as well. The 600 like snowmoer said is also a good engine. Doesn't matter the maker on those two engines as they all have solid 600s and 700s.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
What is your price range? 2007 550 with 12,000 miles on it, unless it had a recent rebuild, in my opinion it would be worth around $1200. Yeah, just $1200. But you didn't say which model. MXz? Skandic?

MXz with 12,000 miles is probably one that I would stay away from. Everything on the sled would need to be serviced to make it reliable to my standards and if I did look at it, I wouldn't offer any more than $1000.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts