Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
rodny51082
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,i have a few questions on the secondary clutch for a 94 yamaha vmax600. what would the factory position be for the spring between the clutch and the helix? i belive the spring is stock(green)and gearing is stock. not sure if it matters but the primary has 8ay weights and a white/pink spring. the primary is not a stock set up.

·
Registered
26,131 Posts
Well before you get into the clutching, do yourself a favor. Drop a tooth on the top gear of your chain case! Believe it or not, that alone will really wake up that little sled, and you may not have to change your clutch!

·
rodny51082
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I will look into droping a tooth on the gearing,but would still like to know what holes they used from the factory and use this as my starting point.I am not the original owner,but I have changed the primary I wanted to know if the secondary was set to the factory specs and if so should I change it?

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
A-2 was stock setting with a pink spring. the 8AY's and the white/pink/white sounds like a setup i used to run on a piped 94.

i penciled out a chart years back on the degree of wrap based on spring colors for the C-A-B-1-2-3-4 options in the secondary. A-2 would with the pink spring was a 50 degree wrap.

your secondary wouldnt be a green/yellow spring would it?

·
rodny51082
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my secondary has a green spring.also i dont see an "A" on the secondary or the helix. clutch has 1,2,3 and the helix has a 0,3,6 and B?

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
1 of 2 things. either your sled is not a 94 or someone put a different clutch on it. your describing a clutch from 95 up/ the b is actually a 9.

i wondered when you said a green spring but thought maybe you missed the yellow swatch.

for that clutch, stock setting would be 1-3(30*). that style reverse cam secondary is much easier to tune than the one that would have been on the 94.

·
rodny51082
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i guess it could be a 95'. on the side of the tunnel it says manufactuered 10/94. i didnt see a yellow stripe on the spring either. it might even be blue but not sure it could be discolored from age,its old. now knowing that the stock setting is 1 and 3 would this work well with with a primary that has be modified some or would the 1 and 3 setting do fine? when i took the clutch apart to clean it i didnt note the spring position but could swear it was on position 6 on the helix if that helps at all

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
if the sled has the sticker with 10/94, its a 95. post the first 3 digits of the vin and i will confirm.

the 95 would not have the yellow stripe. different spring totally. your spring options for that clutch would be green, red, silver, or white.

you will have to test run the sled to figure out your needs. if you take the numbers from the position of the spring in the helix and sheave, add them together and multiply by 10, thats the degree of wrap. example: 6+1=7x10=70, or seventy degrees.

the degrees of wrap alter both the upshift and backshift. the higher the number, the slower the up shift and the quicker the backshift. and the opposite is true. the lower the degree the quicker the upshift and the slower the backshift.

a rule of thumb for adjusting: if the upshift is too slow(over revs), reduce the twist angle. if the upshift is too quick(bog or overloads the engine, too low of rpm), increase the twist angle.

your target rpm at full shift would be 7650rpm, unless you have aftermarket pipes.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
8CA-000 starting numbers would be from 94, 8CA-007 is 95. if these dont jive, in addition to the first three digits, the following three will determine year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts