Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
rodny51082
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I am new to the forum and have a few questions about what color spring and what size weights I should be useing in the primary clutch on my 95 Yamaha vmax 600.it is all stock with about 3500 miles

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
your sled would have been delivered from the dealer with the following set-up:
8CA Weights w/ 4.5g rivets in each hole
green/pink/green primary spring
green secondary spring set at 40(1-3)
41* helix(should be marked 8BV10 on the underside)
these are the factory calibrations for 0-3500 ft

·
Mountain M0DERAT0R
7,469 Posts
welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

even though you say its stock, you might want to let us know what the spring colors are, and what the primary weights are (what gram). that way someone could tell you if its still set at factory.

dont be afraid of calling the yammi dealer to ask what is "stock" for your sled so you can compare what is in there

·
rodny51082
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ok heres the story, when I bought the sled last year the clutch was smoked and I knew it. Shortly after one of the weights blew throught the outer sheeve. I then replaced it with a new used clutch. The guy I bought it from said he had it on the same machine, Yamaha vmax 600. So this year I decided to clean it and after looking at the old clutch I see they are not set up the same. The old clutch has a spring with a green, pink, green and a weight 8ca01. The new clutch has a spring with a white and a pink and a weight 8ay.The new clutch seems to be set lighter?

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
8AY-00 or 8AY-40? i ran the 8AY-10's in my vmaxes years ago. its a more agressive profile. the w/p/w is a little bit stiffer spring than the g/p/g. that set up should work good with the right rivet and if the gear ratio has been altered. i may have some notes somewhere.

is your clutch acting strangely? it should hit full shift at 7650rpm, thats your peak power. pin the throttle and watch the tach. your tach should just about intstanly hit your target rpm and stay there under load.

·
rodny51082
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
8ay , these are the only markings i see on that weight. also the 8ay only has one rivet and it feels lighter compared to the 8ca01. the white-pink spring seems to have coils of a smaller diameter compared to the green-pink-green spring, so would this make the g-p-g spring heavier? i am not sure about the gearing, judging by the rest of the sled i am going to guess it is also stock. would the new clutch setup work or should i change it?

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
the 8ay's without rivets were 38.6 grams. the 8ca's without rivets were 42.8 grams. the 8ay's have more mass on the tip of the weight vs the narrower profile of the 8ca. more tip weight= more belt grab at shift out. the g/p/g spring has a a bit more spring rate. i was actually backwards before.
my notes were for aftermarket springs in a drag situation so they do you much good. i would advise running the current set up, checking the rpms at shiftout and see where your at. engagement should be around 3700 and again, your target rpm would be around the 7650.
do some tests runs, check your rpms, feel both clutches for heat and report back. you should have strong pull at bottom, mid and top.

·
rodny51082
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ran the sled the other day and it it shifted good at about target rpm.after about 15 minutes on the lake a felt the clutch for heat and the sliding sheeve was slightly warm but the fixed sheeve considerabley warmer. how hot should the clutch get?

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
i like to think that you should be able to count to 5 without haveing to remove your fingers from the sheaves. this is usually an acceptable temperature. hotter than that, the belt is slipping and some adjustments should be made.

but, if you are making back to back straight runs, your cutches will retain heat from each pass and continue to build heat. dont know how long your lake is or what type of riding you were doing for those 15 minutes, i usually base temps on a full range of clutch use. low speed, mid range and top end. under load, in and out of the throttle, cruising, etc.

·
rodny51082
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
out on the lake a was anywhere from 15 to 55 mph and constantly changing speeds. the clutch does get pretty hot but i think it sounds like it is with in range of where it should be. i tried to center the secondary with the primary using a straight edge and i think it is close, but do they make a tool to align the two clutches?i looked but couldnt find one for my year. also the secondary is intended to float, is this correct?and if so is close enough good enough on alignment?

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
alignment tools and center to center tools are available. they are the same for any 2 stroke yamaha 94-05. secondary is a floater. what you want to key on is the clutches running parallel and the offset on the secondary.

if your not burning, blowing or tearing belts, your probably close on the alignment and offset.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts