Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new to me Yamaha VT480S. Looking to change the chain case gear oil. Manual calls for API GL3 75w or 80W gear oil. GL3 oil is no longer available. GL4 and Gl5 75-80W Oils have sulfur that I've read can damage brass and soft metals. I've also read modern GL5 oils will not corode soft metals. Not sure if this sled has soft metals or brass in the chaincase What oil do I use in the chain case? Only GL3, GL3 and GL4 or GL3, GL4 and GL5. Thanks! ~Kevin.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Call your local Yamaha dealer and ask them what they are using now for that snowmobile. They should be able to tell you from the service desk without too much hassle. They should even stock it as well.

·
Registered
26,229 Posts
Welcome
You can use about any oil, but I would NOT use 80wt Gear Lube!
Many use ATF
Several use OEM but expencive
I have used Amzoil chain case lube as well as a 50/50 mix of Syn Lucaus and syn 5w30

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I personally use Amsoil Chaincase as it is full synthetic and that is what Polaris calls for. But yamaha I know in the early '80s we ran ATF and changed it every year as that is what the dealer said to use. But that one it is too bad Yamadad isn't still here as he would know right off the bat :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yamaha Motorsports said any quality gearcase oil. I bought Amsoil Synthetic Chaincase & Gear Oil Product Code : TCCCN-EA from the Amsoil website. Dealers have Yamaha chaincase oil 8.5oz for $7.00.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts