Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got 2 SS440’s that have been sitting for a few years cleaned the gas tank, carb and put in new fuel line. I got the thing started and once I turn the choke off it idles up to about 3000rpm then bogs our and dies. I’ve tried adjusting the idle screw but it does nothing. When the choke is on I can get it do idle down. Throttle cable is adjusted to the manuals specifications . One thing I noticed is there’s a hole drilled in the bottom of the throttle plate could this be causing the problem? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Clean the carbs, with them sitting that long that is one of the 1st things you should do & clean them every preseason as well. With the gas we have these days it is better to be safe then sorry.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Well it is possible you missed something. All it takes is a small piece of varnish that you missed somewhere. I would pull them again, use a small piece of wire to clean each passage, remove each jet and clean them with said piece of wire as well. Even with replacing the fuel lines that fuel pump could have had something in it and caused it to go into the carbs the 1st few times you ran it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went back into the carb made shure it’s clean as a whistle. Started it back up and same exact problem. When I turn the choke off it idles high, I adjust the idle screw and it doesn’t change the idle. I made sure the idle screw wasn’t damaged and the throttle is adjusted correctly. I don’t think this is a fuel related problem anymore. I checked the carb boot to see if there was any vacum leaks. Could bad crank seals be causing my problem?

·
Registered
967 Posts
While you have it running spray carb cleaner or wd-40 on the carb boots and seals. If the rpm's increase then you have found your issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts