Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
MIDWEST RIDER
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front left shock on my srv is seized and is not extended at all. The whole left side of the sled leans towards the ground. Where can i find a new shock??

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
probably wont find a new one, your best bet would be a good used one. several snowmobile junk yards around. there used to be a guy by the name of sacha hindle that had a srv specific web site. do a search for that as used parts may be available there. good luck!

·
MIDWEST RIDER
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
found a used set on ebay for 42 dollars its for an "89 will it still fit? its just the Shocks not the springs or anything..

·
MIDWEST RIDER
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you dont mind me asking, whats the easiest way to do this? Any tips on changing it?

·
MIDWEST RIDER
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is just the hydraulic portion.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
lift the hood and look at the top of the strut can. there are 4 10mm bolts at the base of the strut can as well as a 12mm nut on the top, may be a double nut. remove these to remove the can. pay attention to the misc parts that are in there. also, there is some orange paper crap in there thats nearly impossible to re-insert. remove the ski and a few snap rings from the steering components and the hydraulic strut should come out. this off of memory and its been awhile. its a fairly simple operation, its more a matter of keeping track of the parts and the order. there are plastic or wood blocks and stuff in there as well as some snap rings. go for it and good luck.

·
MIDWEST RIDER
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i got it all disasembled, i found out why it was stuck, the whole shock was bent causing it to not be able to move.

I for some reason cannot get the double nut on the top off it just spins the skinny part of the shock. everything is out all i have is the hydraulic shock and the spring...

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
since the shock is toast anyway, use a vice grip or whatever means possible to remove those nuts. seems that if you load the lower portion with the sleds weight you might get enough bite. you can also use two wrenches and spin the top nut away. keep at it, it will happen. my question is where was the shock bent? below the pan and before the ski or inside the can? that would be some sort of impact to bend in either location. check out the tie rods and other steering parts for bends or fatigue.

·
MIDWEST RIDER
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i couldnt really tell since the shock was completey compressed when it was on the sled. i beleive it was under the pan tho..

·
MIDWEST RIDER
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
its on the clutch side, their is no visible dent in the pan...everything seems fine it just would not move and the left side of the sled was hanging way low..

·
MIDWEST RIDER
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I also have another question. I have a PSI pipe on the sled, i dont think it was rejetted for the pipe because when its idling and i punch it it sort of bogs out until i feather the throttle in. What size jet would i need?

·
MIDWEST RIDER
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well im glad to say that i ordered this from ebay "1989 Yamaha SRV 540 FC - front shocks " and it wont fit, The shock does not fit in the linkage thing on the bottom. I beleive my sled is older than a 90 i looked at the other pictures on ebay for an 84 shock and it has the correct shape at the end.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts