Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i have a 87 yamaha exciter 570 with k&n filters and a decker pipe and i was wondering what size jets to run..thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,823 Posts
DONT DO IT!
Leave the air box it is NOT a filter!
Pods will adversely affect the air flow and air temp!

·
Registered
28 Posts
What kind of K&N filters did you use? I'm restoring an 87' an dumping the air box and was considering K&N because we use them on our race cars.
I was told about 2 Jets higher on your mains when I talked to the rep at DG PERFORMANCE. I have 320 mains in it now but I haven't fired it up since I'm still restoring the sled. I bought the Clymer manual and set my base settings off that and will tweak from there.
I'm going to run the Comet -102c clutch, I've read a sliver spring but I'm not sure what ramps to run because I've heard different opinions.

·
Registered
28 Posts
As far as the air box it is a pain in the butt and I'm going to make a vent from the K&N filter to the hood vents for a cold air vent. I know I can Fab something up in our race shop that's easier to use and easier to remove and service plus have a reusable and washable filter.

·
Super Moderator
1,823 Posts
DONT DO IT!
There is a very simple way!
On my 91 EX II I cut from the center to the edge, where the side panel attaches.
I pop rivited a 2" L bracket so that the screw held it in place.
The entire stationary piece comes right off!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Sadly he isn't going to change his mind KC. As you said leave the airbox it is not a filter. He is better off doing the yamaha exhaust mod then going with DG performance exhaust, reason they are cheap and the quality stinks. Plus their reps are never right with the jetting. Every person I know that has tried those piece of junk exhausts on atv's to dirt bikes to sleds ends up jetting way different from what the reps said and usually within a week or two end up buying a quality set of pipes or go back to stock because of how crappy they really are. I refused to even sell them when people would come in asking for them for their machines regardless of what it was and sold them something much better and they always came back thanking me for the suggestions vs their friends who had a DG product.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts