Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for input on what’s happening here? It might be very obvious but I’m a newbie trying to revive life to this old sled.

·
Super Moderator
18,403 Posts
it looks like there has been some attempt to stop the blowback from the manifold to pipe connection but it's not working. Like KC said. Pull the springs and pipe off, clean the connection really well and try the high temp RTV. You may also want to replace the springs that attach the pipe to the manifold, if the springs are weak, that may not allow a good seal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. And by high temp. you mean on the exhaust manifold, right? It just seemed like an excess amount of oil/fuel coming through. But I will add that the person I bought the machine from mixed the fuel even though the oil injection seems to work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it looks like there has been some attempt to stop the blowback from the manifold to pipe connection but it's not working. Like KC said. Pull the springs and pipe off, clean the connection really well and try the high temp RTV. You may also want to replace the springs that attach the pipe to the manifold, if the springs are weak, that may not allow a good seal.
That was my first attempt. One of the loops on the exhaust is broken, so it’s not making a tight seal. From factory was there suppose to be any kind of gasket material between the two?

·
Super Moderator
18,403 Posts
I do not recall any gasket between the manifold and the pipe. There is a gasket between the engine and the manifold, and sometimes those will leak.

Adding oil to the fuel will end up making the problem look even worse, as there will be more unburned oil coming out where ever it is leaking. In a properly working exhaust system, all that extra oil should be exhausted through the manifold, pipe, and silencer onto the ground under the sled. Any leak in the exhaust system will carry unburned oil with the leaking exhaust and make a mess.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do not recall any gasket between the manifold and the pipe. There is a gasket between the engine and the manifold, and sometimes those will leak.

Adding oil to the fuel will end up making the problem look even worse, as there will be more unburned oil coming out where ever it is leaking. In a properly working exhaust system, all that extra oil should be exhausted through the manifold, pipe, and silencer onto the ground under the sled. Any leak in the exhaust system will carry unburned oil with the leaking exhaust and make a mess.
That’s great! Thanks for input. Maybe the previous owner was concerned the oil injection wasn’t working. I just marked the container and I watched to make sure it was going down. Probably not the most accurate way, is there a better way?

·
Super Moderator
18,403 Posts
If you want to know more precisely, fill the oil reservoir and the gas tank. Go ride. Refill, taking very precise measurements of the amount of oil and gas you put back in the tanks. Then you can determine the ratio of oil to fuel. Some of the older engines were 32:1 because that's what the oil back in the day required. With modern oils, you can go a lot lighter on oil, 40 or even 50:1 and still maintain safety.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you want to know more precisely, fill the oil reservoir and the gas tank. Go ride. Refill, taking very precise measurements of the amount of oil and gas you put back in the tanks. Then you can determine the ratio of oil to fuel. Some of the older engines were 32:1 because that's what the oil back in the day required. With modern oils, you can go a lot lighter on oil, 40 or even 50:1 and still maintain safety.
Thank you. I pulled off the manifold and the gaskets look in good shape. Do I throw them out and use the high temp silicone only or use both?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts