Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1992 indy 500 sp efi
I have the rear suspension stuff out, and as detected in another thread, it has issues.

I found all of the wheel bearings bad. The bar i have been asking about was in fact a shock absorber.

Here are my current issues, are the bearings available in bulk? Having a problem locating the shock replacement also.

Many are determined in me upgrading to a Xtra-10. Did some searching, and did not find any xtra-10, but fid find a Xtra-12 on craigslist. Can it work?

·
Super Moderator
17,165 Posts
The xtra 12 is a falling rate suspension, which is the opposite of the "rising rate" suspension of the xtra-10. Not many folks over the years go to a falling rate suspension. There are tons of videos and diagrams on doing an xtra-10, not so many on the xtra-12.

Bearings can be had very inexpensively. If you search for "snowmobile bearings" there should be a lot of sites pop up. For those bearings, I go with inexpensive ones, as they are easy to get to if they fail in the future. At some time in the future, the jackshaft or driveshaft bearings have to be replaced, it's a good idea to go to a better quality bearing, as the effort to change them out is significant. I have purchased online from VXB bearings and have had good luck with them. There are other good retailers out there, as well.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Here is your shock. You can also check the Kimpex site.

I have also found bearings at my local NAPA. You just need the number off the bearing you have. They were in the lawn mower bearings section.

Also check Dennis Kirk.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Agree with dan you have more problems then just what you are showing. That cross shaft in the other thread looks to be off. I say junk that suspension and put in a Xtra-10 and be done with it. That entire thing is a rusty mess and looks to be neglected really bad.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here it went today. Saw dude from craigslist, he had a variety of crap everywhere. He did not have a "Xtra-10" assembly for me. There were other choices and i ended up with this one.

It is more heavy duty than my old one, equipped with fox shocks and needed a new home.
Sprnt a bit looking at it, washed it and in the sled it went.

The back end is much higher and the bolt holes are lined up same as old ones. One hickup is the front bolts to hold the skid in are now larger than 3/8" where i was able to re-use the back bolts.

I don't know whats next, have to ginish up the belly pan rivets in that i have to remove the clutch and starter to set like 5 more rivets along with having to drill out one fastener for the battery tray then the battery tray, exhaust and hood.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Xtra-12 looks different then that. Xtra-12 has the shocks next to each other instead of facing away from each other. Along with the fact the Xtra-12 rear rear shock some have a spring on them as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts