Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
95' Polaris Storm 800
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if I am going to run into any problem with replacing a Gen ll polaris chassis's xtra 10 with a wedge style's xtra 12? Same size track and everything, just wanted to check. Also I was told that if I was going to replace a 95 Storm's xc-100 with a higher one I should only use an xtra 10 because an xtra 12 would result in overheating. Any advise?

·
Sconnie
1,745 Posts
Same here! well, depends on your riding style! the xtra-10 will take rougher trail riding much better! The xtra-12 is a much cushier ride if you ride gentle, but because it's a falling-rate suspension it won't take the big bumps quite so well!

I know some people that love their xtra12s, but they only ride groomed trails very easy. I love my xtra-10 in the rxl, it takes the big bumps very well compared to the old suspension.

·
Super Moderator
16,791 Posts
Like JK said. The Xtra-10 is a rising rate suspension (gets stiffer the more it compresses) which is great for hitting bumps. The Xtra-12 is a falling rate suspension (gets softer as it compresses) which makes it great on the groomed trails, not so great ditchbanging. It's about how you ride and getting what's appropriate for you!

·
95' Polaris Storm 800
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, I ride un-groomed trails, basically atv trails with snow on them. Nothing too rough but definatly not smooth. After the trails I get into open farmer's fields (which is where the 800's power comes into play) and tons of snow drifts. I want the xtra 10 in my storm because the xc-100 blows and does not cushion any bumps at all. My brother wants the 12 in his supersport 550, we have the same riding conditions but he gets his sled into the deeper drifts where my storm would just sink which is where he wants the extra height. The question I have is are we going to run into any problems putting a wedge skid into a gen ll chassis, I dont think we are but I just wanted to see if I could consult someone who may have done it before. Thanks.

·
95' Polaris Storm 800
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So based on the conditions listed above, we should both be riding xtra 10s?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am also looking for the measurements to swap my xtra 10 from a 98 xc 600 with an xtra 12 from a 1995 Polaris XLT 600. If I can get any help I do appreciate it.
as I just ride groomed trail and received that xtra 12 real cheap.

·
Registered
24,890 Posts
Well just that the xrta 10 was better than the 12, but niether is anywhere near as good as the 13.5 of the Cat !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts