Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Long Live Triples!
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyway to get the sled to sit higher up in the rear?

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
drop brackets but don't go to much. or get new springs and shocks.

·
Registered
427 Posts
drop brackets but don't go to much. or get new springs and shocks.
Never seen after market brackets. That said, I think it would be no problem fabbing some up. The brackets on my long track Indy Trail hang below the foot rails. I know that most, if not all, short trackers don't.

Keep in mind that the front brackets on most short trackers have holes in them to lower the front torque arm. Just drill a hole in the aluminum to match the holes of the bracket. It WILL do better in deep snow, and if you put the rear scissors stop in the minimum position, the rear will be raised somewhat.

·
Long Live Triples!
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
do the drop brackets go on all 4 mounting points or just the rear 2?
How much is too much? 3inch drop too much?

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
just the back . yes 3 inch would be to much. if you did that it would be to high in the rear and be tippy. been there done that lol

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
the front like stated above you can drill new holes under the ones in there now.

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
and if you put the rear scissors stop in the minimum position, the rear will be raised somewhat.
is that to the front or rear? i would like to know that for my wifes sled:thumbsup:

·
Registered
427 Posts
is that to the front or rear? i would like to know that for my wifes sled:thumbsup:
I'll put it to you like this. With the front torque arm lowered and the rear in the same spot, the angle of the skid at rest is changed. If you raise the rear of the sled off the ground then gently lower it, the rear of the track probably won't touch the ground. The front rear scissors stop is keeping the rear scissors from extending further. If you adjust the "FRSS" so that the scissors opens more, you can probably get the rear of the track on the ground.

Why do you want to have the sled sit higher? It will be worse in flat hard packed corners. It will be better in deep snow. Moving the front torque arm down will have a tendency to give better weight transfer. Ever wonder why the designers put the extra holes in there. My Edge has a bunch of them. Polaris built a LOT of adjustment into their suspensions.

If you have the time, go ahead and drill out the front suspension holes and try it. Doesn't cost a thing and you can always go back. While you are playing around with it, inspect the rear suspension mounting points as they often start to loosen up at the rivets.

DOHT! I just realized I'm responding to Indy rider who isn't really asking about lifting the sled.

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
i wanted to make it stiffer for the wifes cuz it has a 2 up seat. with new shock and springs but when the kid is on with her it does sag and she only is 90 LBS soaking wet with a 100lbs kid. i heard if you change the rear sissior to a diff hole on the rails it will make it sit up more and make it stiffer. i'm sure like what sledhead wants also

·
Registered
427 Posts
i wanted to make it stiffer for the wifes cuz it has a 2 up seat. with new shock and springs but when the kid is on with her it does sag and she only is 90 LBS soaking wet with a 100lbs kid. i heard if you change the rear sissior to a diff hole on the rails it will make it sit up more and make it stiffer. i'm sure like what sledhead wants also
That is slightly different. If you want more weight carrying capacity for an extra passenger then moving the rearmost scissors stop as far forward as you can is the ticket. What this does is catch the rear scissor as it collapses and starts to compress the front torque arm with it. It borrows capacity from the front shock spring. I don't know if the shock spring is adjustable, but you can actually get some help from that spring by rotating the collar and compressing the spring more.

Moving the rear scissors stop towards the front of the machine helps to keep the skis on the ground because when the rear of the suspension collapses, the front of the rear suspension collapses too. This can be handy while riding double. Especially when the driver and passenger are less than experts. Two up with skis in the air is a lot of fun because it's a challenging symphony for to experienced riders. Two up with skis in the air can also be terrifying. Depends on who you are and how much excitement you are looking for on any particular day.

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
thanks!

·
Send it to win it!
12 Posts
if you want a high ride all around put extra 10 in the front and get drop brackets off a xlt that some is parting out inless if you want that travel then put extra 10 skid in to if you like a smooth ride you will love extra 10 just put it in my xcr

1 - 14 of 14 Posts