Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
---------(PI488)---------
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just woundering how do I stiffin up the suspension on my indy?Pics anything would be a help.

·
Terrain Dominator
1,918 Posts
Reposition shock mounts, tighten springs, etc.

·
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i kno that but were are the adjustment screws and do i need to mess with limmiter starps?

·
Terrain Dominator
1,918 Posts
The spring adjustment screws are on the other side of the part of the spring that goes down to the rail. The spring goes up, loops around many times, and the stub end that comes out the other side is threaded.

The limiter strap is for adjusting ski pressure; if you stiffen the skid up significantly in the back, you might want to let out the limiter strap some, so you don't plow in powder.

·
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
but when I let it out im gunna add pressure, arnt I because it raises the rear and puts more ski pressure?

·
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The spring adjustment screws are on the other side of the part of the spring that goes down to the rail. The spring goes up, loops around many times, and the stub end that comes out the other side is threaded.
Those are near the rear bogie wheels right? On the rails on each side?

·
Terrain Dominator
1,918 Posts
but when I let it out im gunna add pressure, arnt I because it raises the rear and puts more ski pressure?
When you stiffen the skid, you're putting more pressure on the skis. When you let out the strap, you're taking pressure off of them.

·
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, they ride in their own little wheels mounted on the rails.
Well I know those are to tighten up the track and I found a vid and tightened up my suspension heres the vid that I found.

·
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the one that you said on the rails yes they do tighten track tension. and hawkster That might be my option!

·
Terrain Dominator
1,918 Posts
the one that you said on the rails yes they do tighten track tension. and hawkster That might be my option!
No, track tension is changed by adjusting the bolts in front of the rear idler wheels, that the axle mounts on. The little wheels the springs ride in are by the front set of idlers. The surfaces are U shaped, and the ends of the springs rest in them. They don't touch the track, or have any other function.

·
Terrain Dominator
1,918 Posts
what i had thought about doing was maybe h ooking up a coilover from one of the a-arms of a quad to where the rear shock would go
What kind of shocks are they? They'd have to have the same range of extendability, or you'd have problems.

·
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No, track tension is changed by adjusting the bolts in front of the rear idler wheels, that the axle mounts on. The little wheels the springs ride in are by the front set of idlers. The surfaces are U shaped, and the ends of the springs rest in them. They don't touch the track, or have any other function.
Ya thats what I ment.and I didn't touch em Im messin with the aproch angle on the skid tomorrow

·
Registered
328 Posts
What kind of shocks are they? They'd have to have the same range of extendability, or you'd have problems.
not really, if it was a tad shrter it would just sit lower in the rear, you doly have preoblems if it was really long.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
the long springs which rest in those U shaped deals someone else mentioned have an adjustment cam on the opposite end. If you take the springs out of the groove and release the tension, follow it back to where the short end of the spring contacts. its a rectangular black plastic dealio that you can rotate and each 90* rotation gives you more or less tension on those long springs.

·
Registered
328 Posts
you can adjust the tension on those torsion springs in the rear without removing from anyhting, i believe its somthing like a 13/16 wrench or whatever and all you do is crank i tto the highest end for highest tension.

to get the most of the stiffnes out of my rear springs i have my rear sciscor at its highest, and the top one at its lowest allowing the track a little more room for travel

1 - 20 of 22 Posts