Snowmobile Forum banner
81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Polaris XLT Touring
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Ok still stuck... Last ditch effort before paying someone to take it apart. Even with the new stronger puller no luck. How long should I be heating the flywheel and how should I go about it? I did try taking the torch to the inner most part of the flywheel, rotating it to get all around, trying to keep it off the crank snout itself but in tight to where its pressed on. No luck, did it with the puller tight, heat again, tap with the hammer, tighten, heat, tighten, tap, repeat, SNAP. another bolt broken. New bolts on, heated, left under tension overnight, hasn't budged.

Am I going about this right, and just how hot should I realistically be making this flywheel if trying to use heat to break it apart? It wasn't changing color or anything but it was really hot to the touch all around the crank.

Just absolutely no give in it at all.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I know there isn't enough room for good hammer swings, do you have access to an air hammer? It sounds like you are heating it alright. Is this an acetalene torch? I have never had to heat a flywheel but generally steel will get red when it's hot enough. The flywheel will be ruined anyway so might as well get it a little red. Probalby doeswn't need to be bright red. try not to get the crank end glowing too. good luck

·
Registered
1995 Polaris XLT Touring
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
There's definitely enough room for a hammer swing. Side panels come right off on these old models. I was using a propane torch that I have, and I don't have an air hammer but I was using my air impact gun and no luck.

·
Super Moderator
306 Posts
Propane torch isn't hot enough. I went through this with my clutch on my 09' F8. It would not come off for all the tea in China lol . I used MAPP gas on it. (inside area of clutch) and banged on it a ccouple of times and off it came. The propane torch wasn't hot enough. You'd think heat is heat but not hot enough from propane. Use MAPP.

·
Registered
194 Posts
What a bummer. I have never had to heat a flywheel to remove it but I have done some serious pounding on that puller bolt. I didn't like the idea but when your pissed and have no other choice a few good whacks with my medium sledge hammer, maybe 5-8 lb sledge, has always done it for me. A carpenters claw hammer won't cut it. I hope you can win this battle bro.

·
Super Moderator
18,403 Posts
I think all of us that have had stuck flywheels feel your pain. We're rooting for ya, honest!! I'm with Cadillac... get a bigger hammer ;) I hate resorting to that because the crankshaft is a press fit and easily to bugger up.. but as he said.. some times you just gotta wail on something...

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Sheesh, 4lbs is a hatchet to me. My mini-sledges are that big.

You heat the flywheel, not the center. You're trying to expand the metal around the crank.

Are you using Grade 8.8 or 10.9 bolts?

Reactions: Coolhand

·
Registered
1995 Polaris XLT Touring
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 · (Edited)
They're grade 8.8. that's all that was available at the stores I went to, but I might be able to find some stronger.

My axe is just for small stuff like splitting firewood for our bonfires. I'm pretty much a small town city slicker haha.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I think all of us that have had stuck flywheels feel your pain. We're rooting for ya, honest!! I'm with Cadillac... get a bigger hammer ;) I hate resorting to that because the crankshaft is a press fit and easily to bugger up.. but as he said.. some times you just gotta wail on something...
Shockingly I never had one get stuck on a Snowmobile, always had them come off pretty decent just sprayed them with the penetrating oil used the puller with grade 8 bolts and a quick hit with the small handle sledge and hear the pop! Now a harmonic balancer on a Small Block Chevy and once on a Ford 302 yeah that happened,lol. Good thing I was junking the crankshafts anyways & upgrading them.

Sheesh, 4lbs is a hatchet to me. My mini-sledges are that big.
Yep same here in the Northwoods of Wisconsin. Our min-sledges are 4 or 5lbs and we use those 20lb maul axe when splitting wood by hand back in the day. Plus I have a couple other sized sledges here.

·
Registered
1995 Polaris XLT Touring
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
I guess the consensus at this point it grab the heaviest blunt object I can find, tighten up the puller as best I can, and let the center bolt have it.... Here's to hoping it doesn't wreck the crank.

And if it gets me really frustrated I'll turn the axe around and vent with the splitting end. 😜

·
Registered
26,229 Posts
LOL I have a shooting range set up between the house and shop and have been know to just drop a clip!
It really seems to help calm me down!

·
Registered
1995 Polaris XLT Touring
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 · (Edited)
Hi all! Long time no see... Moved on to other projects before digging into my rebuild... But came across this oil pump... Would this be compatible for adding the 4th oil line to my XLT?

Also, would the fitting into the crank need to be a factory part, or are these generic oiler fittings? A single fitting is about $50 shipped.....

81 - 94 of 94 Posts