Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I just bought a '96 xcr600sp and it seems to be running good so far. That is until I let it sit for acouple hours then tried riding it again. Me and my friends were riding it for like and hour and then went inside to play pool. When we came back out and warmed it up and tried to go, it wouldnt, and you could smell burning rubber. So my friend, whose been riding for a long time, looked at the belt and said it has too much slack. So I need to know how much slack there should be. Does ANYONE have the slack height. Thanks alot
Jim

Oh yeah, I check to make sure the driven clutch and track arent seized so I picked up the rear end and was able to rotate the driven clutch and track by hand.

·
Registered
102 Posts
look in your owners manual first. It will tell you how to make minor adjustments. First step would be to go get another belt. You cant go wrong doing that. I just got a new belt and wow what a difference. BUt in the owners manual it will tell you how to slightly change the belt deflection. You will have to loosen those three bolts on the secondary and spin the outside sheave to tighten up the secondary. THis will allow for the belt to be slightly tighter. Otherwise take it in.

·
Registered
106 Posts
When at rest the belt should sit at the same height or slightly above the secondary clutch. I'm not sure how to adjust or measure the alignment, but I was told by a good mechanic that that is how the belt should sit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
it sounds like either you have a worn belt or you may need to shim your secondary. I had the same problem with my and i did that, what a difference

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got a new belt and set tension so that its even with top of clutch. Friends dad said that the tension is good, and it seems good from riding. I think the old belt was glazed and the track was partially frozen to the ground, so thats why it didnt go before. But it works great now. Also, with the old belt, the sled would accelerate awesome to like 25 or 30, then slow down and barely get to 60 in 200 yards. It was like driving a manual car and shifting 1st, then half of 2nd and directly to 5th, it was ridiculous. But now with the new belt, it accelerates mad fast past 60, only been able to ride in small field and only got to 60 because not enough room. But its really weird, I never could see how a worn belt could make it accelerate the way it used to, and I still dont, but oh well, its awesome now.
Thanks for all the replies, they really helped alot.
Jim
Hopefully riding tug hill lewis cty the weekend of 31st:D , but will have to see how soon my ny registration comes back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts