Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 99 XC 700 and i cannot for the life of me get this thing started. I rip the cord and it turns over like it is going to start but never gets going. When i rip the cord the headlight flickers on then goes off once the engine is done turning. I'm real dumb when it comes to this so go easy on me. Should I attempt to jump it with my ATV? If so what are the steps to this as it is a pull start. If its not that maybe gas not getting enough gas? What would be a good way to check gas flow.

·
Registered
350 Posts
try to pull the fuel lines off and see if fuel squirts out as you pull it over... Also are you using the choke??? dumb question but u never know and or also have you tried a new set off plugs, check them if they are black and oily or wet looking it may be that, check that first its easier , then move to checking the lines.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will try that first thing in the morning, ill pull the plugs out first and see if they are fouled.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help sir, I swapped out the plugs with some new ones bam one pull the thing was ripping. What causes oil fouled plugs?

·
Super Moderator
17,904 Posts
The oil in the 2-stroke air/fuel mix doesn't completely burn. If the sled is run at moderate or light loads, like starting and warming up once or twice a month during the summer, excess oil condenses inside the crankcase. Eventually, the oil gets deposited on the plugs and they foul. Make sure the oil pump is not over-oiling, there is a line on the oil pump lever and another line on the oil pump housing. Make sure those lines are lined up at idle. It's usually better if the sled is worked pretty hard when you are riding, the heat of the engine keeps the oil from condensing as much on the crankcase walls, and the higher flow of air keeps the oil heading out the exhaust.

Some oils foul worse than others, some plugs foul worse than others. If it's a constant problem, try the irridium plugs, they are spendy but have a hotter spark than the regular plugs. If you are using NGK's, you may want to try Champion. If you use Champion, try the NGK's. Sometimes just switching to the other brand works, too!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts