Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, I'm sending up the bat signal. I'm trying to finish my top end rebuild on my 98 Skidoo Formula 583 deluxe and I am having the worst time getting circle clips back in. I feel like I've messed with them so much, they might be a little out of round. Is there any tricks to this? Seems like I've tried everything.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
If you happened to have a tube that is the same size or slightly smaller than the pin hole, you can sometimes use it to push it flat in. However, I am so horrible at it that I bought the tool. Yeah, a tool. Basically a tube that you slide the clip through. I have 2 different sizes. One for Skidoo and one for everything else...

Reactions: rvroman969

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you happened to have a tube that is the same size or slightly smaller than the pin hole, you can sometimes use it to push it flat in. However, I am so horrible at it that I bought the tool. Yeah, a tool. Basically a tube that you slide the clip through. I have 2 different sizes. One for Skidoo and one for everything else...
Yes I'm gonna have to get the tool I suppose, wow this is frustrating. I'm kinda questioning the ones I did mange to get in. I got 3 of the 4 in 2 I inserted them from the inside, the one outside 1 I think is a little out of round and I'm not sure it seated right.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 4" set of needle nose vise grips I use.
I tried needle nose pliers, I tried flat screwdrivers. As soon as I try to hold 1 end to use pliers, other end just lifts right out of position. I guess I have to order the tool and go from there.

·
Registered
1995 Polaris XLT Touring
545 Posts
I've found if I can get one side seated in the slot with the gap at 6 o'clock, held in place with my left thumb, if I just go all the way around clockwise the clip with my right thumb slowly pressing it in, they'll usually slip into place.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've found if I can get one side seated in the slot with the gap at 6 o'clock, held in place with my left thumb hand, if I just go all the way around clockwise the clip with my right thumb slowly pressing it in, they'll usually slip into place.
These things are so thick though, I'll give that a try when I get the new clips i just ordered.

·
Registered
26,057 Posts
Measure the Id of the wrist pin hole
Get a piece of tubing that size and another just smaller
Basically make your own tool!
I have made many a tool to do a job!

·
John from Washington
72 Posts
100% agree, Often we lose track of the cost to pay someone to these repairs. Factor in the hidden costs of driving back and forth to the dealership/repair shop, that $40 seems pretty small.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts