Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, this is my first post here and it looks like you have a really nice forum. I have the opportunity to buy a 1980 Arctic Cat panther 440 from my mother who recieved it as payment from her last tennant. She was going to try and sell it on Kijiji for $800 but said she would give it to me for $300 if I wanted it. She says it needs "a recoil spring, a muffler flange, and air box over carb" Would this sled be any good? Does anyone know anything about them? I used the search funtion and got almost no info, thanks in advance.

Heres a few pics:

·
Registered
211 Posts
I agree with Bearded Fish, especially considering the time of year (and all that snow flying in your pic). $300? Go for it!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All that snow flying in my pic? That's laughable :laugh: That pic was taken by my mother in southern Ontario, I'm posted to CFB Valcartier north of Quebec city, we've got probobly a foot in most places from like 8 or so snow storms already. One of the reasons I really need a sled.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Your moms place probably has more than we do here! And a foot of snow by you? SWEET! Snag that sled and get it going!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah it's a winter wonderland here, normally I detest the snow but if I had a sled it might be a different story. I would take a fresh pic but I just had a surgery yesterday and I gotta keep movement to a minimum.

So does anyone know anything about the sled, or is it just at matter of "any sled for $300 is a good sled"?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I don't personally know much about that model or year but just think any sled that looks that good and only needs what you mentioned (and who more trustworthy to buy it from than mom?) is a deal for that price. Others will eventually come along and hopefully enlighten us about that year and model

·
Registered
477 Posts
Nice sled! Great deal! Their not a big power house but they run good and are reliable. That is actually a suzuki spirit engine. Arctic cat still uses those engines to this day. Go over everything real well. If all is good it will treat you well. When was the last time it ran?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was running last year, I'm no stranger to working on old machines though. I have an 86 fourtrax 350 that parts dont exist for :p

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
Oopps! wrong era, my bad!

It will have the Artco Hex shaft clutch on it (if it's all original) and you can get rebuild/tuning parts for it still.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I wouldn't be flipping it since I would be getting it from my mom for what she "paid" for it. It wouldn't be proper to take it from my mom then resell it for profits that she would have gotten. Thats just bad form ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just talked to my mom and she says she's not 100% on the exact year does that help? I really know nothing about this thing...

·
sledhead for life
570 Posts
I've got a friend and his sled is almost exactly like that one.And it still runs.he rides it every year.I can ask him for some info if you want me to.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks a lot guys, I'll get my mom to check the vin.

97cummins: Any information you can get from your friend would be very appreciated, such as reliability, wiring diagrams, sources for parts, service manuals. I've even tried looking for service manuals to purchase and notta. I do think I'm going to buy it off her since I cant really lose from the situation.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts