Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 RMK 700, Stock clutches, weights and springs.
The problem I am having is, after I hit WOT for a little bit and let off, It will not engage rite away, Instead it will just bog rite down the same way it did the first time i melted a piston. But than if I pretty much let my sled come to a complete stop and gun it, it will rev up again and Im gone. It seems like it will pull WOT all day if I dont let off, Could this be that my secondary is not backshifting properly??
Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would say it is a clutch problem, could be either drive or driven. Dirty clutch. Weak/broken spring. Take your belt off and pull the secondary open, then see how it closes.

Start the sled and see if the drive clutch seems to work okay.

·
Fool Injected
210 Posts
Check and make sure there are no flat spots on the primary rollers... that was my problem.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds good, I have just removed and cleaned the Secondary, It was a little gummed up but not bad. It would snap back like it should when I let go. I have the Silver spring in the #4 notch (Should this be the best setting for quicker backshifting??) Now I will pull the primary apart and have a look. I did change all bushing,s, rollers Etc... Last season. But I will double check the weights and rollers for flat spots.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Im going a diffrent way with this. I was having a similar issue. Are you having any back fire through the exhaust. my guss is incompleat combustion in one of the cylinders. put new plugs in there and see if they get some color on them right away. im thinking one cylnder is putting unburnt fuel into the exhaust pipes. if so one of the plugs will color faster than the other. There are some lengthy posts on the bog after WOT. on a few forums.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks,
Never had any backfire issues. My Exhuast temps are within 100deg F of each other and plugs look great (Cardboard Color) I will throw new plugs in there and try, but they have never been wet before. They have only came out nice and dry or completey covered in aluminum, I have melted this thing down twice now from lean conditions, And have fixed these lean problems with jets, seals Etc.. The guy I bought it from had twin pipes on it, big bore air intake and never compinsated with jets. Now that being said
I have removed my primary clutch for inspection and cleaning and found one of the wieghts was hanging up on the edge of the roller. I pulled the weight out and notice the teflon bushing inside was egg shaped. I removed the bushing and found the weight itself was also oveled. I threw new weights in there last night and hopefully will be able to ride soon. I will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New weights and same problem.
Any Clutching suggestions
Would a new but glazed belt do this??

·
Registered
615 Posts
try checking you fuel pick up in the tank see if its rotted out.another thing to try is while its bogging flip the choke on off real quick see if it comes back to life.if it does then its a fuel problem lean.could be fuel pump or jetting or that pick up starving it for fuel.if it boggs worse when you flip it it could be spark cdi or stator or clutching.how worn is your belt.also is it getting plugged up with snow in your intake or your exhaust getting plugged up with snow.if its the exhaust it would happen turning right.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After chasing this problem, I started at the basics, Needle set point, air screws etc... Than I came to think of somthing I have not checked in quite some time. (REEDS)
I pulled the reeds only to find they are absolutley thunderd. I mean it looks like somthing chewd the S"""T out of them. I replaced them with a stock set of Polaris ones we had hangin around and problem solved ( I dont know why I didnt think of that earlier)
Any ways all is good now
Thanks every one for your suggestions

·
Registered
16 Posts
thats interesting, i have the same problem right now. At WOT, it stays around 5k and after a few seconds it launches. Its a racing clutch, and last year it was great. But this year, im getting the hesitation. Even when going up hills, i give some throttle and it doesnt want to go.
Last weekend i was riding and all of a sudden on the trail, it was back to life. Response and power with only alittle throttle and at WOT, it ripped. But as soon as i opend it up on the lake, it went back to sh**. Anyone have an idea of whats happening?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i944 it almost sounds like clucthing, A wieght hanging up or roller worn out in your primary.
I did find that after changing the reeds. In the deep stuff I couldn't hold a full RPM.
I removed the secondary and changed my spring postition to #4 and that helped maintain my RPM. I would also remove the carbs and check reeds. I heard that running rich or backfires can destroy these things
Just somthing to look at.
Good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
yeah its odd, on the packed stright its decent. But as soon as I hit any incline, it garbage. Thanks for the reply, ill check check those.
I hope i can get it running like it was last year. I dont have an rmk, ive got a xcr 600sp.
If i can get it to how it was last season im heading to the radar run :]
The sled is a blast

1 - 13 of 13 Posts