Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 96 xlt special thaat i put away a week ago and now it wont start. i pulled the head and carbs and cleaned everything then it started and ran for about 10 minutes but wouldnt go ove 5500 rpms . i recently put new plugs and a new belt but now it wont start. any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
51 Posts
If it has a battery check to make shure it is charged.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It all depends. Do you have electric fuel injection (EFI)? Because if you do than there isn't much you can do for all i know, i'm only 16 and i can't do a thing with my indy 500 touring because it is all electrical. If that is the case than you will most likelly have to take it to a dealer or to a mechanic.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would say like the others start by making sure that you have compression and spark on all 3 cylinders. if that is ok then i would say look for the problem to be carburators or fuel. check for water/ice in the carbs and gas lines. (Dry gas) Also it sounds like an obvious thing but check to make sure the shut off valve for the gas is all the way open. good luck

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks ,
i know i have spark in all three plugs and i just cleaned all the carbs on it the shut off valve is all the way open ( thats happedned before thought) so i guess now im going to put a compression check to it.

also i was wondering if it were possible to put pod filters like k&n's on the carbs instead of the huge airbox.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm not sure about the K&N pod filters. The only thing I would suggest is that try to make sure that it dosen't suck snow or water through the filter and into the engine. another thing that I was just thinking about with your no start situation is to check and make sure the vacuum line from the crankcase to the fuel pump is ok and you may want to take the fuel pump apart and check for water or debris there too. another place you can check is the fuel filter in the gas tank. I cant remember for sure but I think there is a filter in the tank too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
KTM125, just go to the local dealer and get em. By the time you screw around and pay shipping you are paying the same anyways, plus you are supporting a local business which is important (you may need em some day). Your compression should be around 150 psi per cyl. Make sure you hold the throttle wide open when you check it. SHDWJIM makes a good point!! Check the vacuum line is attached and not cracked. A quick check to make sure the pump is working is to take the vacuum line off the block and blow in and suck out a few times. The fuel should flow by doing this, which simulates the crankcase pressure that operates the pump. Check float levels as well, you may not be getting enough fuel, or too much fuel, to make the engine run properly. Almost sounds like you left out the main jets?? Also try putting it in a heated garage for a while, you would be amazed how easily a little water will mess up the works. Good luck

·
Registered
59 Posts
can you see that it is actually pulling fuel from the valve to the carbs? Soemthing may have torn the bladder in the fuel pump, just a thought,

Patrick

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah its getting fuel because when i pulled the carbs they were full and when i pulled them again after trying to start it they were fulled again

·
Registered
59 Posts
So you have spark in all 3 cylinders, all 3 cylinders are getting fuel. I know you only put it away for a week, but I would check for mouse nests in the intake or exhaust pipes. Just a thought,

Patrick

·
Registered
14 Posts
My friends dads sled had the same problem. It would turn on then shut off after a few seconds. After a few days of messing with it we found out that there was a cracked fuel hose. Also one of the weights in the primary came out and was stuck in the clutch. After we fixed that it ran alot better but not good still. We took in in to our friend who owns a dealership and they put a new clutch and sycned/tuned the carbs. If you have any questions i can get more detail of what they did. But im guessing it is something to do with your fuel.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i know that its getting gas because everytime i take the cabs apart the bowls are full. it started and ran for like 15 minutes but would not go past like half throttle and after i shut it off it would not start again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts