Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a 2009 ski doo summit, i was out riding and it just stalled out and I couldn't get it running again. It turns over and wanted to start a few times. Then we changed plugs, and checked for spark. No spark. We think the ground came off because there was a broken wire in the front of the sled that looked like it could be the ground but we are not sure if it is a ground or not. My sled doesn't have a battery. Does it need ground to have a spark? ...let me know what you guys think, need help???

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Yes, it needs the ground. There is no frame connection between the motor and frame. Rubber engine mounts. Usually a ground wire ran between the motor and frame.

However, if you found one broken wire, there could be others. 2009 has DESS, check the DESS connections.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the broken wire we found. In the front of the sled by the motor mounts. Its supposed to run from motor to frame. Could that prevent it from not having a spark?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yep, the motor needs to be grounded to get spark. You should be able to see where it was attached before. Hook it back up and hope that is all it was.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was working on it tonight and I noticed that it did spark twice while trying two different times, by holding the plug on motor. Why would it sometimes spark and then nothing at all. I tried the dess and kill switch, dont think it's either one of those.

·
Super Moderator
1,862 Posts
Remove you bar pad find the kill switch plug and test it same with the Key switch
Test your stator out put

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was hoping I'll find the issue before I get to the stator. We tried some more stuff yesterday and actually got it running. But only for a little bit and wasnt running too smooth, then we stopped it and couldn't get it going again. What does that sound like?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts