Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I got the pistons freed up on my 95 Indy 440, it will not run above idle. I finally fired it up, let it idle for 5-6 minutes and got on to go, I had to feather the throttle to get it to not bogg down. I made it about a mile before it bogged down and died. I fired it back up one pull and gave it gas and it died. Did that a few times. It just will not rev up past idle. Any throttle whatsoever will kill it. It does make a very noticable sucking noise but I don't know what that means. I cleaned the carbs yesterday so they are good. It idles perfectly tho, so i have no idea. Could it be the fuel pump or somethin? Thanks

·
Runnin Against The Wind!
8,036 Posts
Sounds like you might be sucking air. Check your carb boots for cracks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I pulled the fuel pump apart today and cleaned it, but it did nothing. I aslo noticed something very strange when I pulled the plugs. One was a rust color, and the other was pretty clean with black spots on the threads? What does this mean?
Also, when I pulled out the plugs, smoke was only coming out of the left cylinder, why?

I guess I should add that the gas and filter are pretty old, but I don't think it could make this big of a deal.

I have also pulled off the left cylinder head, could this make such a big deal because I didn't put a new gasket on?

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
You need to do a compression test on it. The rust colored plug sounds like the GOOD one. The other one should be the same color. Compression should be at least 110 or so.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know how soon I will be able to get a compression gauge, in the meantime tho is there anything I can check? Thanks for all the help

·
Registered
323 Posts
start you're motor and spray starting fluid around the motor and see if it idles different. If it does then you have a leak some where on you're motor

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried the starting fluid thing and nothing changed, sprayed it on the carb boots, around haed gasket etc but nothing changed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Today I figured out why it was boggin on take off, the choke cable was cracked right where it goes into the carb, We straightened it out and it fixed the prob.
It still will not run over 30 mph. So far what I have done is clean the fuel pump, replace fuel filter and do a compression test, its at around 80 psi, from what I read on here it sounds to me it should be at around 120, but both my sleds are the same so I dont know if its just cause they're older or not.

A funny thing happened upon inspecting the plugs, once we pulled them and inspected (one was rust color, other was wet) and put them back in, it would not fire! We could not get it to fire at all. So after staring at it for a few minutes, we said screw it and left, can anyone help me out?

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
If both sleds are 80 lbe, the guage you used is bad. Try another one. Get a spark tester and make sure you're getting spark to that side. Sounds like you're not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts