Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
02 550 touring. i am gonna go help a guy trouble shoot it. i guess it sounds like it wants to go fast but wont. what could cause this. he said there is only 700 miles on the belt but i will check it anyway. anything carb related?

thanks
 

·
I am Spartacus
Joined
·
23,863 Posts
Gotta determine first if it's bogging or the belt's slipping. Is it reving OK or sounding like it's starving for gas?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
1,159 Posts
dano said:
02 550 touring. i am gonna go help a guy trouble shoot it. i guess it sounds like it wants to go fast but wont. what could cause this. he said there is only 700 miles on the belt but i will check it anyway. anything carb related?

thanks
Dano. If he is running it in the heavy snow right now it may very well not go faster than 60 if everything is working alright.

I took the trail out on Pike Lake and its won't go over 60 at the moment either... more like 50.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
my wifes sled did what sounds like the same thing would not do more than about 50 or 60 mph. one of the plugs started to go bad and was only sparking part of the time it wanted to go but wouldnt pick up changed the plug and it ran great.When it first started to do this i thought water in the fuel, that is about what it seemed like.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
smallengineguy said:
Gotta determine first if it's bogging or the belt's slipping. Is it reving OK or sounding like it's starving for gas?

ok, i rode it last night, its a 98 i think anyway, it does feel like the engine is getting starved for either fuel or air. plenty of power up to about 60, then any more throttle (3/4 or more) and it boggs

i aslo was lucky enough to put a whole in my belly pan on my switchback. i almost cried

thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
what color are the spark plugs? did you check the fuel pump? it be getting weak and cant cheap up.. just my .02 cents
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
Dano, what'd you do to your switchback?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, apparently there was a trailer parked on the other side of a snow back, i tried to deek it but slid into it sideways, caught the corner and bam, just about the control arm on the right side, still very much ridable. bringing it in friday to a plastic welder then after the season is over i am replacing it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Touring sleds are heavy maybe thats about the top speed for it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
600SE said:
Touring sleds are heavy maybe thats about the top speed for it...
no there is something wrong with the engine or fuel system, it shouldnt top out at 50 miles an hour with only 1/2 throttle then shake violently after that

i have ridden this sled up to 80 before something is wrong, i will tear into it on friday
 

·
I am Spartacus
Joined
·
23,863 Posts
dano said:
no there is something wrong with the engine or fuel system, it shouldnt top out at 50 miles an hour with only 1/2 throttle then shake violently after that

i have ridden this sled up to 80 before something is wrong, i will tear into it on friday
If it's shaking violently, it may indeed be the clutch...
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top