Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was riding with my friends today, and my friend, who has an 2003 Rev 440 LC, took off going 80 MPH. Being the racer I am, I too took off after him. I had my throttle to the bar, and it only went about 55 to 60 tops. My friend said that my sled could definletly go faster than that. I dont know where to start when it comes to this problem. It is a 1998 Polaris Indy Trail Touring 488. I do not have studs, and it is all stock.

Also when I go full throttle, it sounds like it is SCREAMING at me. Its loud! People told me that thats not very common.

Any tips?

Edit: Would changing the plugs help here?

·
Registered
30 Posts
What kind of shape is the belt in? Have you had the clutches serviced recently? It sounds like maybe the clutches are not engaging fully, or the belt is worn, or both, which would cause the engine to rev freely...

Something to start with.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked the belt. It is in fine condition. The guy we bought the sleds from replaced the batterys and belts before he sold them to us.

I changed the plugs and topped it out at 80 MPH. They were really really black and old. I put brand new plugs in that were better. :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
it could possibly be the length of the belt. a shorter belt will give you more bottom end and a longer belt will give you more top end. my grandfather had the wrong belt on his 01 mxz 700 and it was real nasty till about 70 then everything would pass it up

·
Registered
427 Posts
The belt length is adjustable in a way. I run mine as tight as I can get away with. If you look at the secondary clutch you will notice three small bolts and a plate. You can loosen these bolts and rotate the plate to take up slack in the belt as it wears. What this does is change the space between the secondary sheaves at rest.

A cheap/nice performance bump for this sled is to install a Polaris primary spring color coded red. I assume yours came with a red/white spring. This spring alone will wake the sled right up and is plenty safe as I have around 3000 miles on mine after the initial 2500 miles and she is running strong.

Find the recomended main jets for your conditions and install them. You will probably find a chart under your hood. Polaris is known for jetting "fat" from the factory.

I've seen over 90 on the speedo on a snow/ice covered road with my 97.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts