Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have an 88 Polaris Indy 488 fan that runs at idle but won’t rev at all. Seems like it is getting too much fuel. It’ll start first pull and idle all day but it is very smoky and when you try to rev it up it will big down and eventually stall. It looks like it has good spark but plugs are wet after it stalls. I have cleaned the carbs, checked floats, choke seems to be working. Could this be a spark/ ignition issue?
this all started after an engine swap. I replaced a blown 488 with another 488. I did have the flywheel and stator off. Wondering if it could be out of time just a bit. Any suggestions are appreciated,
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
99 Posts
Still sounds fuel related to me. And those chokes are known to hang up. Check the cables again for freeplay. It's easy on those. You just pull up the cable when it's at idle and it'll choke it and almost stall it. The cables should have a tiny amount of free play. No more than that.

And what's your compression on this motor ?

Steve

·
Super Moderator
1,859 Posts
Welcome
Do you have it on a stand in the cold?
Try that and try hitting the choke and see if it will rev out feathering throttle?
It may just be loaded up

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still sounds fuel related to me. And those chokes are known to hang up. Check the cables again for freeplay. It's easy on those. You just pull up the cable when it's at idle and it'll choke it and almost stall it. The cables should have a tiny amount of free play. No more than that.

And what's your compression on this motor ?

Steve
I adjusted the choke cables so there is minimal play in the cable when the choke is disengaged. Chokes seem to be working, runs very rich with no choke, when I choke it the engine just stalls out.
Compression is 115 on both sides.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome
Do you have it on a stand in the cold?
Try that and try hitting the choke and see if it will rev out feathering throttle?
It may just be loaded up
track is off the ground, with the choke off I can feather the throttle up a little but not even enough rpm to engage the clutch. If I choke it the engine will stall out.

·
Super Moderator
99 Posts
Are you doing this testing with the clutch on it or off ? Also, when you pulled off the stator did you use the same one from the old machine or from the new engine ?

Steve

·
Super Moderator
99 Posts
Do you have a inductive timing light that can snap onto the plug lead ? If so then you can either pull the rewind off and shine the flashing light at the flywheel and see how it reacts to the varying throttle. Or just pull the top rubber plug off and shine it there and see what you can see as well. Also, there are checks for the static top dead center of the piston along with the timing mark of the flywheel. Usually you need a mark to line up but I'm not exactly sure how those 488's are but I'd guess it's something like that.

Steve Oh, and you used the new stator. Maybe it's bad ? Did you ohm it out compared to the old one ?

·
Super Moderator
1,859 Posts
Were they the exact same engine? Did it have the exact same plugs and CDI?
Which carbs and pipes did you use?
Did you clean the carbs and set the floats?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts