Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a quick hand as I'm leaving tomorrow for Munising. Will I be able to fit a backup sled in the back of my Sierra (8ft) bed with the tailgate down while pulling enclosed 2 place w/out jack knifing??

sled's a 98' cougar 550 don't know length?

note:tailgate barely closes and stays put when there's not 300lbs on it lol

thanks for your responses

·
ride till your broke
2,560 Posts
i have a 2001 ram with an 8ft bed & tow my
tryton enclosed trailer with a sled in bed.
just dont try any sharp turns
but do-able.

·
Sn0pro7
134 Posts
i have thrown a sled in the bed of a pickup and pulled an enclosed trailer before with no problems. i think you will be fine.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
is it a single pole tilt trailer (not an a-frame hitch?) If so, you can extend the hitch another foot or so in about 10 minutes. On most tilt trailers with a single pole, there are only two things attaching the pole to the trailer. The tilt pin, and a large bolt at the back of the pole. All you have to do is remove the rear bolt, and then drill a hole further forward. (there might already be one, I've seen some trailers that have it already.) You will also need to drill a new hole in the pole for the tilt pin.

So on my trailer, i've added 1 foot to it, as well as drilled a new set of holes with the hitch shrunk as much as possible. It makes the trailer nice and compact for storage.

(disclaimer, i'm not responsible for any wrecks! a foot of extension on most trailers is absolutely no problem, but do this at your own discretion.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
awesome thanks guys...hate to drive 10 hrs to have a sled break down. Would rather ride my friends spare 800 rev anyway lol instead of my old school cat. btw... with 2 sleds on trailer one in back pulling with a 1/2 ton 5.3L what mpg should i expect. I manage around 15-17ish highway with no weight?

gas is a killer

·
Registered
254 Posts
why would you ask what mileage youd expect? its obviously gonna be less, cant put fuel in it you cant make the trip imo. not trying to be a jerk i just hate mileage questions.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
At 70-75 mph my old Dodge 1500 would get 9-10 with a sled in the truck and 2 on the trailer.

·
ride till your broke
2,560 Posts
id get about 10mpg.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
back from my trip....wow too many things that went way wrong!! Got to Lansing and nothing but a sheet of ice unitl Clare then lost all trailer lights in the dark...apparently i didn't get the memo of a blizzard in Munising and they got about a foot and a half of snow in 2 days. So the trails were more than perfect. Visibility was about 5ft away to zero. Before the trip just completely serviced my sled everything was perfect on it ready to go....didn't even to get 5 miles out pop-backfire it blew up...beyond pissed only had 3,700 miles on a 98 perfect condition sled. Got out the spare 04' 800 rev rode that friday night into saturday morning which was a badass sled...on a road trail to see miners pictured rocks and i passed 3 people in our group ahead and raced the leader with a non studded 07 f1000...edged him out then we came to a stop waiting for the others to catch up....turns out girl with another 800 rev followed me passed the others (no visibility) smoked me in the rear then another guy in a 600 polaris hit her...he flew off inthe air both sleds TOTALED! Tunnel pointing straight up track locked on both sleds (there's a mxz hood in the woods if you want it) then drive back was a pure sheet of ice 4wd all across the UP......worst trip I've ever been on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts