Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have popping in my 81 citation after I put in my new track....I think the track is on too tight and causing my engine to over heat making the popping noise...then I have to let it cool down before it will run again...any ideas
thanks

·
Registered
323 Posts
Never heard of that one before, but I am sure it will have some effect on how hard the engine is working to turn a track thats too tight.

When riding it, when you back off the gas does it slow down real fast? also look at the hyfax, a track thats too tight will overheat and melt the hyfax.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hyfax?

I am not sure what that is or where I could find it? could you please explain??? it seems to stop no problem...just at idle after driving for a half hour I get this popping noise almost like a back fire then it stalls out

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hyfax is the plastic strips on bottom of the slide rails in the rear suspension, without them you would be running aluminum rails on steel clips and the whole works would wear out in a short period of time. These plastic strips, hyfax, slide over the rails and are held on by 1 bolt or rivet at the very front, they are designed to take the wear, and fairly cheap to replace when worn out.

Now as far as your popping, it sounds like you have it narrowed down to the engine, I guess the first thing I would do is reset your track tension, loosen it up some, and pull the carbs off and clen them real well, then see how it goes.

·
Registered
142 Posts
the hyfax/slides sit on the bottom of the suspension between the track and the rails

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...here is the update the popping noise was it running off one cylinder...I can unplug the the one wire and it will still run but not the other way around...I thought the spark looked intermitent so I changed it and I had an new coil pack that I bought just in case...switched it out but still not working right...where does the spark come from before it gets to the coil pack? I did the points and condensors in the summer so they are all new...any thoughts
scott

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did change the coil that I think is designated to that spark plug....do you think I should change both?

thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts