Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had both of my track shocks rebuilt on my 2001 500 Indy Edge XCSP. They are Fox shocks. At the end of last season, I broke one of the rear springs and the rear track shock blew. I can't figure out which happend first, I'm thinking the shock blew (4000 miles on original shocks), then the spring broke because it was seeing too much travel. Anyway, I have a few questions for anyone who might know more than me:

1. I am now all nervous that the shock is gonna blow at any time. Are my rebuilt shocks as good as new? I have a huge trip up north next week- should I buy a replacement shock to be safe?

2. The rear track shock was the one that was blown. The front track shock was ok, but I figured that since it was off, rebuild it anyway. When I finally got the rear track shock out I saw a tiny pit in the shaft. This pit was so small, you would have a hard time fitting the tip of a pin in it. However, since I always do things right, I told the guy rebuilding the shocks to replace the shaft. Since he is an a-hole, he didn't replace the shaft, he just rebuilt it with new seals and oil and stuff and said it should be ok. What do you guys think? Is this thing gonna blow a seal?

3. Is there anyone in the forum who works in a shop? What is going on inside the shock? How does it work? How does the air stay in with all that pressure?

4. I weigh about 250 lbs. Can my sled handle my fat ass stock or do I need to make some modifications? And don't say the "go on a diet mod", because I'll never give up beer and chicken wings.

Sorry for the long post! Thanks to anyone who has some input.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Answers:

1.) Yes they are as tough if rebuilt correctley. No spare shock needed.
2.) It could effect the seals, but as small as it is and being a pit instead of a bump you will be alright.
3.) Gas, oil, spring and body all work together to give you a nice ride.
4.) You would have to refer to your manual or dealer to find what weight rating your stock spring is. I think most are with-in your delicate weight range. Often they rated by what color they are, simular to clutch springs. My sled shocks are good up to a 350lbs. rider. shane

1 - 2 of 2 Posts