Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, im new to the website and have a question. What sled is right for me?

Ive been sledding on my AMF (if you call it that, mostly pushing and fixing it) since i was 13, im 18 now and im looking into getting a newer
(late 90's early 00's) sled. Im not sure what to get.

I ride mostly in the woods behind my house, there are logging roads that are fun to ride. my family has a house on a lake in Canada so ill bring the sled up there and ride the trails and lake.

So i ride all terrain, packed trails, lakes, and fresh powder... im looking at a 1998 Polaris XCR 600. its relatively cheap and close to home. I know its more of a racing sled, but would it serve as a multi purpose sled? What are some other models i should be looking at?

Ive got about 1500 to spend and i want at least a 600

Thanks for your help

·
Alex
3,385 Posts
well then you're right on track with that xcr. Any skidoo MXZ 583 or 670 in the late 90's would do good. Plus those motors are some of the most bulletproof twins on the market. XCR is a tripple, I'll let you decide if you like that or not (I prefer twins, from the info I've seen). A tripple might be kind of heavy for powder riding. Maybe consider a taller track if you're gonna be riding a lot of powder.

·
Registered
260 Posts
id shoot for like a mountain max, powder special, 670 summit, small rmk idk just kinda wut would shoot for i like sleds with 136s big enuf for wut i need my sled to do

·
Registered
70 Posts
Had a 600 xcr nice running sled but I didn't like the suspension. A little picky with the triple easy to flood and always 3 plugs to deal with, but it was fast top end for year and being a 600. I think the cats and doo doo's ride a lot better on bumpy stuff. Don't get to see much powder so sorry there?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the help. I have found a 1996 Polaris xc 600 with 2k mi and its real cheap. i know the guy selling it so i think thats the way im going to go... Anything will be better than the old AMF

Thanks again

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One last question.... As far as registration goes, im going to register it in CT. What do i need to do to ride in say VT? Another registration?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Usually most city councel offices sell them, or snowmobile dealers off them as well. Pretty much anytime you leave your state or go into Canada you need out of state registration sticker for that state. Unless ur in boondock Canda and not worried about a mounty catching ya.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for the help.

I picked up the sled today, pleasantly surprised it had a brand new track on it and new carbides :D

·
Breaker of Balls
313 Posts
n

1 - 15 of 15 Posts