Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wrench that fixed my busted up clutches impressed me of the need for at least some gas line antifreeze in my machine due to the EFI system causing leanouts if any ice gets in there. Just what brand / type do you guys use with these 2 strokes? I haul all my gas from nearby cheaper vermont so I see l the water thats in gas these days . Its in there all right some of the time.
I do have one of those 5qt water removing funnels that I try to use but it is a ***** trying to top it off without gas all over the place. I can't see the big deal with these funnels in spit of the wonderous reviews. It really is just a simple deep sump and filter arrangement which serves to slow the gas going down and tie things up often sloshing gas .

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
There are 2 kinds of dry gas, one is a water remover (more expensive than the others). That's the one you want...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
De Ice in the Gas, No ****???

Wow you Canadians must have some cold weather. I never heard of anti freeze in the gas anywhere in the US not ever.

·
Registered
570 Posts
You want to use isopropyl not methanol. Methanol can cause your sled to blow the engine.

·
Registered
170 Posts
YamahaVector said:
You want to use isopropyl not methanol. Methanol can cause your sled to blow the engine.
Enough of it will prevent the oily film on your cylinder and pistons. Not a good thing...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
True Enough and I aint gonna use much

I don't use the stuff even in the cars unless they start running rough. Sadly though in this day and age there is water in the gas a lot of the time and I don't care which brand or who is selling it. The reality is that today there isn't so much in the cheap stations since tank pressure testing is mandatory yearly. Before they just let the tanks leak for years as it was cheaper than digging them up. Lots of water going in there no doubt.
On the other hand while any engine will burn large quantities of water easily Fuel Injection doesn't like it as well as the carburetor system does. Thats where the concern lies. These 2 strokes are so damned finiky that it doesn't take much to put them in harms way. I wouldn't have one on my boat, prefering that rock solid but heavy Chevy truck engine ( heavy) . I bet once the 4 strokes take over here people will never look back. To be sure I aint gonna put the normal recommended dose of ISO in that Cat tank , rather just enough to help it out if it gets a wee slug of water.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts