Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to the forum and would love some help on making a decision. The choices are, a 2002 yamaha venture 600 triple, 4000 miles for around 2400, or, a 2006 arctic cat t660 with 4500 miles for around 3700. Basicall 4 stroke vs. 2 stroke. The Yamaha has a little rust around the front shocks but the sound is great, the arctic cat is in pretty good shape. The question is which one is the better buy? I can't find my first choice, arctic cat pantera, but I would like a 2 up for my wife and myself so any help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hello, I am new to the forum and would love some help on making a decision. The choices are, a 2002 yamaha venture 600 triple, 4000 miles for around 2400, or, a 2006 arctic cat t660 with 4500 miles for around 3700. Basicall 4 stroke vs. 2 stroke. The Yamaha has a little rust around the front shocks but the sound is great, the arctic cat is in pretty good shape. The question is which one is the better buy? I can't find my first choice, arctic cat pantera, but I would like a 2 up for my wife and myself so any help is greatly appreciated
I'm a fan of the Cat given those choices but amongst our sleds we have a Ski Doo Grand Touring and they really figured the touring sled out well. I haven't owned a 4 stroke yet but am starting to get annoyed with how loud my stock 2 stroke is (not the Ski Doo but my Arctic Cat).

·
Registered
51 Posts
touring

I am super partial to 2 strokes, especially as they get old. I guess I feel like that T660 (is it a turbo?) will be more complicated to maintain down the road, and it has higher miles to begin with.

I have heard very good things about the Yamaha Ventures, as well.

·
Registered
24,890 Posts
Hold out for the Pantera! The 660 turbo would be a good sled, the Yami is a bit under powered! A 98 Pantera would be a great sled the 02 even better! I personally just picked up another 03 Pantera 800 EFI!

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
If that T660 is the turbo version, you would not be disappointed with it's performance.
Also a 4 stroke with that mileage on it is not even broke in yet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
DO NOT get the venture!! I just put this post on here today. The link is below. I have had so many problems with my 09 venture lite it is rediculous. Not just problems with it being a 4 stroke. If it gets cold it won't start. Some people on here have made solutions like installing a second battery but why should you have to do that to a sled? A snowmachine that doesn't like cold weather is kind of rediculous. Also, there is no tub on the front, if you go in deep snow it piles snow up on the front end and now you are trying to push that snow, it acts like a plow. The venture is also top heavy in my opinion which makes it harder to turn tight, you really need to throw your weight around. The only good thing about it is the gas mileage. I drove 133 miles on one tank. It was only -6 the first morning when I was out hunting and it wouldn't start. I just tried to go check my trap line and I had to pull the battery out and bring it inside to warm. I also have a jet heater blowing on my sled to warm the engine up. Before people start asking about the condition of the battery or anything else, it is a new battery, good plugs, new oil change, well maintained.

http://www.snowmobileforum.com/yamaha-snowmobiles/55561-solution-yamaha-starting-problems.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts