Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 700 Classic Edge IFS

I got this for free. Previous owner said it has around 1500 miles and ran when the issues cropped up. Said when he gave it gas, the track would not move, like it was binding. He started taking it apart so I have a box with what looks like the carb, exhaust, clutch flywheel? and some other things. I have never worked on a snowmobile but I am handy mechanically.

Anyone have a PDF service manual?
Where should I start? Should I try to put it back together and then start diagnosis or can I look at what I have?

TIA!

·
Super Moderator
17,383 Posts
First thing I would look at is to determine why the track isn't turning. One common cause for that is that the sled was ridden hard in low-snow conditions and the track clips got hot. Then the sled stopped and the track clips melted into the hyfax. Get the back of the sled up in the air so that the track is off the ground and see if you can turn it by hand. If you can't, check the length of the track where the clips touch the rails and see if one of those clips is melted into the plastic.

I'm pretty sure Coolhand has a link to some online resources, so I will let him weigh in on that.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
1st off give it to me..since it won't run right and the last owner gave it away :D as I have been looking for a 600 or 700 Edge for on the cheap...come on..send it my way :D

And manual should be below, click Polaris then 2001 will work as they are pretty much the same on that engine

Also check the clutch as well make sure there isn't a broken spring in the secondary or that the buttons are not worn out. At 1500 miles the spring and buttons should be replaced.

Also where are you located?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Track moves freely forward/backwards. I have wheel dollies coming next week and we'll move it to the garage so I can look at the chain case. Got our first snow here in Alaska so I don't want to open it up outside.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts