Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for specific information on putting an Xtra 10 in my Exciter II.

Measurements? Tips and tricks?

·
Sconnie
1,745 Posts
jbshocks has a page describing this
JBShocks snowmobile shock rebuilding
be very exact in making sure the holes are in the same spot! or else the axles will be misaligned and you'll never be able to bolt your suspension in!!

·
Sconnie
1,745 Posts
use the measurements I gave you! or find out what sled it's from and measure the same measurements as listed on the illustration!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
use the measurements I gave you!
????

I looked at the JBShocks link and the Xtra 10 link was dead.

You guys are talking about the measurement from the drive wheel to the back wheel. Right?

I guess I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this. I just figured there would have been a thread documenting this mod for my sled.

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
you need the measurement from the drive axle to the front skid mount and then to the back skid mount. then down from your tunnel. the measurments are on that site he gave you.

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
ok here it is from the back of the drive axle to center of front mount is 11 5/8 then from there 23 1/16 to back mount. down from bottom of tunnel 5 1/4 for both. http://www.jbshocks.com/x10mount.jpg

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
hey RxSx, looking at that exciter tunnel, it looks identical to the vmax's... You can probably follow my thread over at TY exactly and get it in the right spot. (1 1/2 forward, 1 1/2 up from the two existing holes in front, and re-use the existing furthest hole forward for the rear mount.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you Indyryder.

jk, That link to the Xtra 10 mounting was not there when I used Firefox. When I tried Safari it appeared. I think that was the confusion.

Okay, so since you have a specific length of track these measurements must be adhered to. I have no problem doing the tooling work it's the geometry I'm worried about.

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey RxSx, looking at that exciter tunnel, it looks identical to the vmax's... You can probably follow my thread over at TY exactly and get it in the right spot. (1 1/2 forward, 1 1/2 up from the two existing holes in front, and re-use the existing furthest hole forward for the rear mount.
Thanks for the tip.

Now I'm wondering if the Xtra 10 is a good match for the old TSS. Will it be overkill? Too high? Was there a Polaris Xtra 8?

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
thats a standard polaris suspension. they made them for many years and are a dime a dozen to get. it will be a upgrade for yours but not a big one. the 10 is way better.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay, so I spent the last day and a half working on this. It mounted up fine right on the measurements. I take it for a spin and right away I hear banging. Not good. It looks like the track is hitting the long tunnel coolers near the front. What the hell? There's 7/8" clearance there.

Is the track snapping when I hit the throttle? I added preload, tightened the track, and put the Yamaha, oem, top tunnel wheels back in. No idea if this will help and it's too late now to go out.

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey thanks. It would look a lot better with a new seat.

That did it. I rode it the other day and nothing hit. But if I want a larger track or studs I think I'll have to drop the rear under the sideboard.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts