Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i heard they're gonna stop makin the viper, their best sellin sled! is it true? Heck, my hard-core skidoo ridin dad almost got one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
YUP! If you want a new one you better hurry up. Yammie is replacing it with a 3 banger 4-stroker called the Vector. New skid-new motor-new seating position etc. Very smooth and quiet. 120 hp. They say it will compare with the Viper er. I really think 4-strokers "ARE" the future. Sorry 2-stroke lovers. MM.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think soon all you'll be able to get is 2 strokes, but has yamaha been a little too quick doin this? it's a huge risk, and a lot of times, the first person to make a move that big in anything fails. then, years later, it becomes what people want.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
they are keeping the Viper for 2005, but its just the mountain one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
MadMax said:
YUP! If you want a new one you better hurry up. Yammie is replacing it with a 3 banger 4-stroker called the Vector. New skid-new motor-new seating position etc. Very smooth and quiet. 120 hp. They say it will compare with the Viper er. I really think 4-strokers "ARE" the future. Sorry 2-stroke lovers. MM.

Look at the sno-scoot. It must have been way ahead of its time. I think they cost more now than they did new.

·
Registered
28 Posts
actually 4 strokes have been light and powerful for the last 20 years, ever ride a streetbike rice rocket? .They could have put those engines in sleds, had 100 horse and got 25 miles per gallon. 2 strokes are obsolete for anything but snocross.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my dirtbike is a 4-stroke and im happy with it. but my stupid thinks-hes-the-best-at-everything brother wont ever buy a 4-stroke because of his kx 100. he said that the rx-1 would only go 70 tops cause it's a four stroke. HA! dumbass...

·
Registered
147 Posts
So Yamaha being one of the most MAJOR 4 stroke bike producers has failed right? Wrong.. THey took the step and are very succesful...

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
skidoo_magoo said:
my dirtbike is a 4-stroke and im happy with it. but my stupid thinks-hes-the-best-at-everything brother wont ever buy a 4-stroke because of his kx 100. he said that the rx-1 would only go 70 tops cause it's a four stroke. HA! dumbass...

you said before that you had a kx100... so what do you ride??

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yamaha is migrating to 4-strokes for a variety of reasons....the biggest one being the 2006 Federal Emmision Standards.

Also, Yamaha is the only sled manufacturer that had the R&D facilities already in place since they've been making four-stroke motors for years.

·
Banned
114 Posts
Two strokes are not dead. Arctic Cats efi's will be fine untill 2010. I think that Ski Doo's sdi already meets the 2010 emisions levels. The technology continues to improve too. There is no reason why two strokes won't last far into the future.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was just going to mention the new SDI that is found in the Skidont and the Polaris. They meet the emitions requirements already, and they have just begun on the developement of more efficient 2 strokes. But, they will never have better emissions, and mileage than a 4 stroke. It is just a matter of time. The SledHaters are just havin their way. All sleds had 2 strokes, they thought by doing this they would eventually get a ban on them. They Cat came out with the 4stroke 660 for YellowStone, what happened, they banned them all together. I thought it was because of the emissions? What a crock!!

I am A Yammi guy at heart. I own a AC zr700le because this was the only sled at the time that matched my riding style, besides, when it came to sleds I have always had cats. Finally, Yamaha stepped up thier suspention to match my needs, and they put a 4 stroke in it, LOL! I have been doing some research on the RS line and they don't sound that bad, actually, I may even go for the RS Rage next season. Great gas, just gas, more reliability and longivity, and that sound and at the same time the lack of it. Then I will have a full stable of Yamaha's. It's to bad they don't make cars, LOL!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I still cant figure out this emmission thing,a two stroke will allways burn oil,wether its 100 or 200 miles to a liter its still burning oil.how do they rate them,is it just by the % of fuel that dont properly burn or what.a 4 stroke dont burn any oil and is better on gas than a 2 stroke,yet the 800sdi met future emmisions before the RX1, or so i was told

·
Registered
81 Posts
Here are the emission standards straight from the EPA's website:

Depending on the amount and type of 2-cycle oil used, I'm sure it would meet the standards. 2-cycle oil will certainly burn. How completely the oil burns determines whether it will meet emissions.

I'm not sure how the new injection systems work, but they would certainly need to have greater control over oil delivery and a better mixture of the fuel and oil.

Here's a link to the EPA's Regulatory Announcement:
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/nonroad/2002/f02037.pdf

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SledRiderRMK80 said:
you said before that you had a kx100... so what do you ride??
my brother had the 100 but he went ot college so i got it. i rode a ttr-125L. he'd beat me between those two, but 4 strokes now can keep up

1 - 16 of 16 Posts