Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 99 Formula III recently. It had sat for 4 years. Carbs were pretty gummed up. I checked online microfische and almost %#[email protected] when I saw the prices for carburator parts. Before ordering the parts I needed I checked with my motorcycle dealer. Here are the results.

3) needle valves and seats $26.+ EACH thru skidoo.
3) needle valves and seats $4.95 EACH thru local dealer.

plungers, guidholders, springs for chokes about $35 X 3 in parts thru ski-doo.

same parts $8.95 thru my dealer.

rebuild kits (gaskets etc)? couldn't find thru Ski-doo but were $12.00 each thru my local m/c dealer.

Basically a total rebuild with parts from my dealer were less than just the needle vavles from Ski-Doo.

What's up with the insane markup thru Ski-doo? Mikuni carbs are Mikuni carbs.

·
got snow?
93 Posts
I might be wrong but i think you saw list price wich is way higher than retail price.But like i said i might be wrong.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
57 Posts
stunning prices

Yea I am not impressed buy my dealers mark up eather. Everyone needs to make a proffit,but I hate to be taken advantage of. I needed a little coolant temp. sensor for my 1995- 780 tripple, I almost fell over when I was told It would Be $55.00 This is something that should be $12.00 no more. There is a high mark up here. Problem is when you need a part its easy to buy local, but the smart thing to do is shop around. Good Luck.;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
This might be a dumb question , but did you tear them down and clean them? or if they don't come apart try soaking them in a real carb cleaner that you put them into, the local parts stores carry it. Make sure you get the gaskets and o-rings off because it will eat them, and don't soak them over night it also eats aluminum.:D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those prices are actually online prices which I think are a little cheaper than retail. When I got it, it had been sitting for a while. The choke cables, guidholders, plungers were taken off before I got it and lost. I figured carbs would need some cleaning, so I pulled those also. We completely disassembled and tanked the metal parts. They weren't really bad, but floats were stuck a little (gum not rust) and one of the o-rings on one of the needle valves had a crack in it. I'm the type of guy who would rather spend a little $$ to make things 100% rather than find out the hard way something isn't right out on the trail, so I just replaced all the needle valves, gaskets, seals etc.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Good choice Busa, you got the bike out yet? Its about damn time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually, put bike on road last week. We had a 55 degree day. Put 10 whole miles on the bike. Next day 8" of snow. Two days of 30's, then work calls. Sent me out on the road for a few months. No riding for a while it looks like.

·
Team Arctic
746 Posts
what do you do BusaRider?

·
Team Arctic
746 Posts
cool, goign on tour for a few months then r u, good deal, have fun.

·
Registered
23 Posts
yah i was lookin at buyin a new jacket next year. i was gunna buy one of those shell jackets cuz they are supposed to have for room and be more comfy. until i was the price 230 bucks. for that im keepin my jacket lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts